What's new

DS212 Intermittent LAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tell us more about the RJ45 problem. And if the LEDs on the NAS are rather normal after power-up. Maybe we can simply get that going - bad cable, bent pin, bad switch port, etc.

All LEDs except LAN work as expected. When the system is accessible, the LAN LED is bright, green and flashing. The green LED on the RJ45 port is on constantly. When the device becomes inaccessible, the LAN LED on the front panel is dim, but not totally dark, and the RJ45 LED remains on.

I have used a number of cables, different router/ switches and am highly confident that the problem is on the DS212 rather than outside it.

Update: I was able to get into the Diskstation today. It stayed up OK for long enough for me to get the data I needed off it.

While it was up, I copied the files from /var/logs.

I noticed the entries in the messages log file at around the 45 second mark on the last occasion when the LAN did not come on-line. Messages in Bold below appear in the log whether the LAN comes up or not. The entries that are not in Bold do not occur when the LAN comes up successfully. Do they tell us anything of value? I could post up extracts from more of the messages file, but I dont want to clutter up the forum...

May 21 23:42:10 DS212 kernel: [ 45.970000] init: syno-auth-check main process (1069) killed by TERM signal
May 21 23:42:10 DS212 kernel: [ 45.970000] init: syno-auth-check main process (1069) killed by TERM signal
May 21 23:42:10 DS212 synonetd: ipv6_module.cpp:233 Failed to create socket(AF_INET6)
May 21 23:42:10 DS212 synonetd: ipv6_module.cpp:48 Failed to open icmpv6 socket
May 21 23:42:10 DS212 synonetd: base_module.cpp:96 Failed to init module [2]
May 21 23:42:10 DS212 synonetd: module_manager.cpp:95 Failed to init module [2]
May 21 23:42:11 DS212 kernel: [ 47.010000] <30>systemd-udevd[1206]: starting version 204
May 21 23:42:11 DS212 synonetd: module_manager.cpp:73 Failed to initial modules
May 21 23:42:11 DS212 synonetd: synonetd.cpp:43 Failed to initialize module manager
May 21 23:42:11 DS212 synonetd: base_module.cpp:130 Module [2] is not initialized
May 21 23:42:11 DS212 synonetd: module_manager.cpp:116 Failed to start module [2]
May 21 23:42:11 DS212 synonetd: synonetd.cpp:46 Failed to start module manager
May 21 23:42:19 DS212 kernel: [ 55.580000] cesadev_init(bf16b000)

Let's focus on the LED on the RJ45 socket on the NAS, and the LED on the switch or router port on the other end of the known-good ethernet cable.
You said that the RJ45 LED on the NAS, when things aren't working, is ON. Is it blinking? Blinking means there is LAN activity.
And when not working, what is the LED on the switch/router showing?

Next
If the LAN IP of the NAS is, say, 192.168.1.250, and from a windows PC you run this command window: ping -t 192.168.1.250 (substitute numbers as needed), do you get a reliable response from the ping?

You also need to ensure that some device on the LAN is not faulty and flooding the LAN with packets. This will cause PCs to not access the Internet normally, or ping times are abnormal from PC to router (e.g., 192.168.1.1 or whatever).

How does the NAS get its IP address? Static assignment in the NAS or DHCP reservation or just DHCP so NAS IP changes now and then?

If the NAS is always 192.168.1.250 or some such, then you can temporarily configure the PC to be, say, 192.168.1.200. Connect NAS ethernet directly to PC. Then use PC to admin the NAS, and PC ping NAS as above.

If the box gets to a state where you can login - just do an ifconfig to check things there...

My thoughts - Nuke it from orbit - grab the firmware from Syno and start it fresh and see what's up...

Word to the wise - a NAS is just another PC on the LAN, so always back that bad boy up...

situations like this...

Update....

Apologies for the delay in responding: I went on an e-Bay Auction Watch to source a used replacement DS. I picked up a nice and clean DS213+ at a good price so all good on that front.

I have migrated my drives into the DS213+ and have full access. Migration was an absolute breeze. Accordingly, much of this data has now gone through 5 migrations as follows:

Initial migration from a Windows NT Server to a Lacie NAS
then from Lacie NAS to DS207+
then from DS207+ to DS209
then from DS 209 to DS212
then from DS212 to DS213+

The reason I'm making this point is to confirm that I have NEVER had any difficulty migration forward on Diskstations. Every time, I get a quick, clean result which speaks volumes (no pun intended ;-) ) for the DSM Interface and underlying OS.

As to the specifics of that migration, I purchased a Belkin USB WiFi stick to accompany my 'new' NAS as a small and cheap piece of fault tolerance on the LAN front. I stuck religiously to the Synology Compatibility pages, having previously tried to get an unlisted SMC stick working to no avail.

As to the question of backups, I fully agree with stevech and sfx2000 regarding the need for backups of a NAS. However, my data is relatively static and, while I had a full off-site backup of 99.99% of my data, that last 0.01%was relatively recent and had not yet filtered to a backup on my current plan. I am now up to date.

As to the originally posted issue, this remains. I am fully satisfied that the problem exists on the NAS- not cables, nor router nor LAN port on other devices. There is no network flooding going on- the problem is in the NAS. I hope to get to the bottom of it now that the criticality of the DS212 has diminished. As the problem is intermittent, I still suspect a motherboard problem such as as a dry joint, but I will nuke the current DSM and install DSM 6 as soon as I get access to it next.

Finally, a big shout-out and thank you to stevech who offered me a 'recovery' of some data if all else failed. Much appreciated..

Apologies for the delay in responding: I went on an e-Bay Auction Watch to source a used replacement DS. I picked up a nice and clean DS213+ at a good price so all good on that front.

I have migrated my drives into the DS213+ and have full access. Migration was an absolute breeze. Accordingly, much of this data has now gone through 5 migrations as follows:

The reason I'm making this point is to confirm that I have NEVER had any difficulty migration forward on Diskstations. Every time, I get a quick, clean result which speaks volumes (no pun intended ;-) ) for the DSM Interface and underlying OS.

Thanks for the followup - good to hear that the data made it safely through the migration from the old unit.

Update....

As to the specifics of that migration, I purchased a Belkin USB WiFi stick to accompany my 'new' NAS as a small and cheap piece of fault tolerance on the LAN front. I stuck religiously to the Synology Compatibility pages, having previously tried to get an unlisted SMC stick working to no avail.

As to the question of backups, I fully agree with stevech and sfx2000 regarding the need for backups of a NAS. However, my data is relatively static and, while I had a full off-site backup of 99.99% of my data, that last 0.01%was relatively recent and had not yet filtered to a backup on my current plan. I am now up to date.

As to the originally posted issue, this remains. I am fully satisfied that the problem exists on the NAS- not cables, nor router nor LAN port on other devices. There is no network flooding going on- the problem is in the NAS. I hope to get to the bottom of it now that the criticality of the DS212 has diminished. As the problem is intermittent, I still suspect a motherboard problem such as as a dry joint, but I will nuke the current DSM and install DSM 6 as soon as I get access to it next.

Finally, a big shout-out and thank you to stevech who offered me a 'recovery' of some data if all else failed. Much appreciated..
with the low prices of USB3 drives these days, 3 -2-1 BACKUP!

the problem is in the NAS. I hope to get to the bottom of it now that the criticality of the DS212 has diminished. As the problem is intermittent

I came across a post on the Synology forum earlier today, where the poster's DS212? DS211? lost its net connectivity after every slight power dip. Only a restart would fix the problem, until the next time. It seemed to me that this model may be sensitive to even small power fluctuations.

Could it be that the power supply for your DS212 is a becoming bit flaky, and even small drops are causing the problem?

(Sorry I don't have a link; I must have read 300 posts this morning :) and I have no idea where I found it on the Synology forum.)

PB

Hi

A newbie here, so please be gentle ;-)

My DS212 started dropping its LAN connections a few days ago. It started as an intermittent problem that would occasionally be put right by a hard restart.

However, now LAN only comes online rarely, and then only for seconds to minutes before dropping out again. When it drops out, the LAN LED on the front panel goes dark.

My sense is that it is circuit board component related rather than anything in software/firmware. Can anyone point me to the RJ45 circuitry on the board, so that I can get my local wizard to check for continuity, dry joint(s) etc.?

Any pointers would help- An annotated circuit diagram would be brilliant.

Thank you.

I once replaced a damaged RJ45 jack on a laptop. Someone tripped over yanking cable pretty hard. Replacing jack was not that difficult with good soldering iron. I use Weller soldering station with good solder sucker. If OP's buddy is
experienced he can do visual inspection of the board and jack plus replace jack but beyond that I wouldn't touch component on the board. Even with special tools, it's pretty tricky. Cold spray or heat gun can help find cold solder joint or such. Good luck.

It can be an easy repair - depends on how the part is mounted...

With multiple layer boards, need to be easy on the heat, and a small soldering iron and patience - this is what some techs would call "mini" as opposed to "micro" - the difference is the scale and the work...

Just don't use one of these - lol...

weller-8200n.jpg

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!