What's new

DS213 upgrade question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bodean

Very Senior Member
Thinking of replacing my DS213 with a DS415+ (Faster, can transcode with plex, etc).

Would an upgrade simply be taking out my two WESTERN DIGITAL WD30EFRX RED 3TB hard drives, and put them into the new NAS? Or would I have to completely format and reconfigure?

The DSM operating system (A form of Linux) is on those drives. If you put in a new blank drive and get the proper operating system established, maybe the old drives can be put in and recognized. Not sure. Question for Synology support.

Thanks. Still debating if the price to upgrade is justified so haven't pulled the trigger yet

Thanks. Still debating if the price to upgrade is justified so haven't pulled the trigger yet

DS213 has a limited CPU.
I have DS213, too, and I know it is not expansive, I like my NAS, but if you ask it a bit of power on a multiuser environment or concurrency you immediately know it's an home NAS, no more, no less! ;)
Maybe for a single user home NAS, Armada CPU is still performing well.

I just replaced a DS409+ with a DS415+. I took the 4 drives out of the 409, put then in the 415 in the same relative positions and powered it up. It took a while to get the latest DSM installed on the applications updated, but I had no problems in migrating 6 generations of Synology devices.

I just replaced a DS409+ with a DS415+. I took the 4 drives out of the 409, put then in the 415 in the same relative positions and powered it up. It took a while to get the latest DSM installed on the applications updated, but I had no problems in migrating 6 generations of Synology devices.

Great news, thanks!

Thinking of replacing my DS213 with a DS415+ (Faster, can transcode with plex, etc).

Would an upgrade simply be taking out my two WESTERN DIGITAL WD30EFRX RED 3TB hard drives, and put them into the new NAS? Or would I have to completely format and reconfigure?

First... Manage your expectations on transcoding with less than a I5 multicolor CPU.

If you take the drives out of your old unit, label them and put them back in the same order in the new unit. Use the "Synology Assistant" to find your new DS on the network and it should see it as migratable you can then have it download the latest DSM and it will get on with it.

I recently did this with a 415+ to a 1515+ and it was a painless experience. Although, they are almost identical hardware wise.

There's a lot to be said about starting with brand new drives with a new nas, especially if your originals are a few years old, though!

Good luck! :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!