What's new

DS213j can't access internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Caple

Regular Contributor
Hello everyone.

I had cable at the old home (TV and internet) with two internet connections. I had a Thomson and a Motorola router. I used one of them and my relatives used the other. The internet speed was not shared. Each one had it's own data plan. Never had any kind of problem. The connections were like the following:

coax cable from outside -> 2way splitter (1)
(1) output 1 - digital decoder
(1) output 2 - 2way splitter (2)
(2) output 1 - Thomson router (I was using this one)
(2) output 2 - Motorola router

Now I moved and have the same ISP, again with two routers, but my DS213j can't connect to the internet. It's connected as following:

coax cable from outside -> 2way splitter (1)
(1) output 1 - Cisco router
(1) output 2 - 2way splitter (2)
(2) output 1 - digital decoder
(2) output 2 - Cisco router (I'musing this one)

When I try to configure the router through the NAS web admin, to access it from outside and port forward Transmission, it says two routers were found and DNS resolving is abnormal.
I can't figure out what is the problem. I supposed it would work just as the old house instalation.
Any clue?

One strange, at least strange for me, thing that I found is that the IP on the Cisco status page is not the same internet speed tests says I'm using.
The one on the Cisco router is 100.xxx.xxx.xxx and the one on any speedt test website is 201.xxx.xxx.xxx.

Yes, it's a modem/router.
It's a Cisco DPC3928.

After posting here I read some people standing that our ISP bought some IPs from another company and that's why our IP on the router status page starts with 100.66.
Maybe that's my problem.
I don't know if I should ask them to change my route to avoid this.
Or maybe if I change the Cisco to bridge mode the problem would go away.

Router status/admin LAN IP address - most I've seen are 192.168.100.1 (moto/Arris).
can you get from the ISP a plain modem, no router or all-in-one? Then use your own router as you wish. Most people do that.

Router status/admin LAN IP address - most I've seen are 192.168.100.1 (moto/Arris).
can you get from the ISP a plain modem, no router or all-in-one? Then use your own router as you wish. Most people do that.
I can do that simply using this Cisco as bridge. And use my TP-Link as router.
But it seems the problem is beyond that.
How is Synology NAS finding another router on my network? Seems like it's looking beyond the Cisco. I'm not sure if using it as bridge would do the trick.
But I can try.

for some reason, my PCs have always been able to access 192.168.100.1 for the modem status web pages, even though the LAN is 192.168.1.x

Yes, the Cisco could be a bridge. But using the ISP's modem and an owned router simplifies and eliminates finger-pointing about the modem.

Can't make it work. Dunno what I'm doing wrong.
Set the Cisco to bridge (now it is accessible on 192.168.100.1). Connected LAN1 to TP-Link WAN port.
What next? Couldn't make it work, even cloning the Cisco MAC to the TP-Link.
I'm sure it's something simple.

... and now it's working.
Just rebooted everything. LOL
Sometimes LAN devices get confused when you change IP addresses - there's what's called an ARP table - essentially a lookup table of MAC address versus IP address - and these are learned on the fly. If you are changing addresses - sometimes one device's ARP table is out of date. A power cycle or reboot refreshes it. PCs have a command to purge/rebuild the ARP table.

Or not.

I noticed the IPs and MACs on the ARP table when I was setting IP reservation.
Thanx for the replies.