What's new

DS214 Performance Feedback

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ok, I have the new Linksys router set up. It's connected via ethernet cable to the DS214 and wirelessly to my desktop (they're going to be on different floors of house).

Here are LAN Speed Test results for 100 MB and 1000 MB. Both tests are on my desktop using wireless AC built in to my Asus Z97-Pro motherboard and the folder is on an internal WD Red 4TB drive. The Linksys WRT1900AC and DS-214 are connected via cable.

picture.php

picture.php

I'm guessing these results look a lot better than the actual experience I had of transferring files I had earlier. Again, it took over 8 hours to transfer a 9000 file 225GB FLAC library from desktop to PC, using the old modem/router as a switch and over ethernet.

I just transferred a 29GB m2ts file wirelessly from local drive to NAS through Windows Explorer and it took about 10 minutes hovering at about 43MB/s. That too seems a massive improvement.

You probably know that wired PC connected to the route's LAN ports, and/or to an unmanaged ethernet switch (inexpensive), and running a LAN test as you've shown- move data only among the ports. "Wire speed" it's called. The throughput is constrained by the PC's CPU speed and IP stack goodness, not the LAN gear.

With gigE and to good PCs, you should get 800++ megabits/sec in a LAN tester with no disk I/O involved. I see great differences depending on the PC speed and OS version, and TCP window size setting.

I always use a gigE switch to interconnect LAN devices and one connection, switch to router LAN port.

Last edited:
Do you really think a dedicated GigE switch will be faster than my new router? I confirmed the WRT1900AC LAN ports are all GigE, and even though feedback on the unit is all over the place, the reviews all agree that the hardware is robust.

Do you really think a dedicated GigE switch will be faster than my new router? I confirmed the WRT1900AC LAN ports are all GigE, and even though feedback on the unit is all over the place, the reviews all agree that the hardware is robust.
Hopefully you'd see no difference. Some router's LAN ports are not truly wire-speed switched though, so that router firmware can implement port based QoS/VLAN on the cheap.

I just prefer to not wonder, given good gigE switches are inexpensive.

Hopefully you'd see no difference. Some router's LAN ports are not truly wire-speed switched though, so that router firmware can implement port based QoS/VLAN on the cheap.

I just prefer to not wonder, given good gigE switches are inexpensive.

Which switch/es do you recommend Steve?

Which switch/es do you recommend Steve?
They're a commodity now.
Netgear Pro line costs more, metal case. Lifetime guarantee.
I have some cheap-o Fry's store brand (said to be D-Link), 5 port, two worked here for 2 years. GigE.

see Newegg.com

Get 5 port or 8 port. Not expensive.

One port left

Thanks Steve :)

I have one port left on the ac68 but that will soon be taken by a second internet line.. 500mbps fibre :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!