What's new

DS214se locking up

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

flowrider

Regular Contributor
Wondering if anyone can shed some light on this. Will this underpowered NAS lockup, as in the blue power led flash continuously, if the CPU is stressed for a long period of time? In retrospect I should have just ordered the DS213j like I had originally planned but I don't plan on stressing the system out except for this initial setup time.

I was running at almost 98% for close to 6 hours as I was reimporting my raw photos into Lightroom after moving all the photos to the NAS.

My DS212 isn't a speed demon CPU. But I've not seen it max out for anywhere that long.

To import lots of pictures, do you know that there's a Synology provided PC program that can do the one-time bulk import and thumbnail generation? This speeds up the import 100fold.

My DS212 isn't a speed demon CPU. But I've not seen it max out for anywhere that long.

To import lots of pictures, do you know that there's a Synology provided PC program that can do the one-time bulk import and thumbnail generation? This speeds up the import 100fold.

Not aware of that program Steve can you elaborate? I should add that the photos are all on the NAS already but what I was doing was re-importing them into Lightroom by way of importing the old library in order to fix the links and not lose my metadata. I didn't think this would stress the NAS out but it did. I thought the transferring of the photos from the HD to the NAS would be the worst since it was nearly 1.6tb of photos.

Not aware of that program Steve can you elaborate? I should add that the photos are all on the NAS already but what I was doing was re-importing them into Lightroom by way of importing the old library in order to fix the links and not lose my metadata. I didn't think this would stress the NAS out but it did. I thought the transferring of the photos from the HD to the NAS would be the worst since it was nearly 1.6tb of photos.

I don't know Lightroom, but Synology's Photo Station will look in certain places on the NAS for photos. When found, it will generate a thumbnail. Done for 100's or 1000's, that's CPU-eating.

This isn't a problem if you put photos where Photo Station doesn't find them.
see
https://www.synology.com/en-us/releaseNote/Photo Station Uploader

I see thanks Steve. I don't even have Photo Station loaded on the NAS. I guess I'll just have to live with it until I get everything configured correctly. Thanks.

Photostation or enabling DLNA feature, I don't quite remember, took me 2-3 days with 100% CPU to index and optimize (thumbnails and lots of stuff that It started doing automatically). Look if you get a rolling dotted circle in the right corner when you log in, like this:

10y0tvs.jpg

I have a DS213J model. Afther this initial indexing and conversion, everything will be speedy, and new stuff indexed instantly. At least this seems now.

Last edited:
I think that part of that indexing is thumbnail generation - jpg's.
Batch / bulk upload is why Synology came up with that PC program to do the thumbnails.

That makes sense. I don't know if the NAS box can convert raw files though. What I ended up doing is uninstalling apps until the CPU dropped. It turned out it was Cloud Station that was hogging the resources. I reinstalled and changed a setting and it was running more around 80% which was nice.

Looks like it's converting files. Generally it's photostation. Disable it in photostation settings.