What's new

DS412+ vs DS1512+ / RAID 5 vs 6 vs 10

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tranceaddict84

Occasional Visitor
Hey all,

I'm moving into a new place shortly and I want to finally get a proper NAS [ie. not just a USB hard drive hanging off my router]. I have been looking at the following:

Synology DS412+
Thecus n4800 -- I like the built-in mini UPS functionality.
QNAP 459 Pro+

We've just got a 10-bay rackmount Synology NAS at work and it's fantastic - I'm totally sold on the DSM software - so I'd quite like to get a Synology box for home as well.

I had pretty much decided on the DS412+, but despite it being much more expensive, part of me is drawn to the 5-bay DS1512+. I'm planning to fill it with 4TB drives and the additional usable capacity provided by a fifth drive is appealing. I've read the SNB reviews of both and I'm also somewhat put off by the DS412+ being described as plasticky and cheap feeling rather than the all-metal DS1512+.

So a couple of questions that affect my choice:

RAID 5 vs RAID 6 [vs RAID 10] -- I've read a few things recently about how RAID 5 is now basically worse than useless [worse than a 16TB stripe :eek: ] due to the chance of unrecoverable read errors increasing with volume size. In the event of a disk failure and rebuild, a 16TB volume is pretty much guaranteed to encounter a URE somewhere on one of the 'healthy' disks, throwing a spanner into the rebuild operation and rendering the whole volume unusable and your data likely lost.

Using a 5-bay NAS means I can use RAID 6, esentially negating this risk by providing a second set of parity data, meaning encountering two UREs on the same block is monumentally unlikely. 5x4TB will give me a 12TB usable volume, the same as using RAID 5 with 4 disks. I feel this would be the ideal capacity for my current needs and future growth.

Or should I forget the whole parity thing and just get a 4-bay box, stick it in RAID 10 and manage with 8TB [a 6-bay NAS and 6 drives is out of my budget, unfortunately]?

And something somewhat related that I hope is OK to stick here rather than starting two threads:

I'm planning to run cat6 through my walls and put multiple LAN points in all the rooms, all running back to a switch hidden in a cupboard somewhere near where the ISP fiber comes in. I'm looking to get a fairly cheap and compact, unmanaged gigabit switch, ideally 16 port (TP-Link do one for £70 that looks pretty decent).

As all these high-end NAS have dual GBE with link aggregation (802.3ad) support I'd quite like a switch that supports 802.3ad so I can use link aggregation on my NAS. Does such a thing exist at a consumer-grade level? The only 802.3ad supporting switches I can find are full on rackmount L2 managed enterprise jobs, SFP ports and all, starting at around £250.

Cheers,

Regarding the switch, I think you have to go managed to use LAG and bond the LAN ports on the NAS. I have the 1512+ and use a Netgear GS108T 8 port switch, works great.

Yep, looks like there are a couple of high-end consumer options at the 8 port level, but moving up to 16 puts you firmly in SME territory. Oh well, I found this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/407270-tp-link-16-port-gigabit-smart-switch-with-2-sfp-slots-tl-sg2216

Still seems like massive overkill for a home network, a full width rackmount switch, but hey it's only 100 quid and maybe I can get a 1U wall bracket and mount it vertically in the cupboard....

So that's one thing sorted, now back to the NAS!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!