What's new

DS414 vs DS415play

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Makes sense. I don't think I'll do a time backup, isn't too useful for media. Most of my non media stuff is in OneDrive (Microsoft).

Most of my non media stuff is in OneDrive (Microsoft).
I hope you don't have on OneDrive (or any other on-line service) any sensitive personal info - tax records, bank/brokerage statements, etc. All I upload to OpenDrive (not OneDrive) is shared photos!

I hope you don't have on OneDrive (or any other on-line service) any sensitive personal info - tax records, bank/brokerage statements, etc. All I upload to OpenDrive (not OneDrive) is shared photos!

lol I don't. But I doubt it would change much, I trust Microsoft to a certain extent. But putting financial information online is definitely not super smart, though idk many people use online banking and tax stuff.

lol I don't. But I doubt it would change much, I trust Microsoft to a certain extent. But putting financial information online is definitely not super smart, though idk many people use online banking and tax stuff.
Right! Trust all those 18,000 layed off employes as of Sept. They're all loving MS.

All you need is a File server, in some form of RAID
you will be better off money wise to just buy a built box, QNAP, Synology, WD,etc
The power consumption is also something to look at (full blast and sleep/off)
Get something with a Intel chip in it and be sure it's a linux based box
forget all the hodge podge of this file system, that file system, and just got with EXT4/Linux, RAID 6 (need 6 drives) if you want or RAID 1 or 10
If you delete something just be sure the OS on the NAS has a recycle bin. They seem to start to have that so it's not a instant delete
I remember WAY BACK that you would just have a old pc hooked onto your 10-base2 (coaxial wire) network to be drive F: for file storage, didn't worry about iTunes or bittorrent or any of that (what was that? not around back then), every thing was 8bit, and getting 100K on file transfers on a network was gold...

Get something with a Intel chip in it and be sure it's a linux based box
forget all the hodge podge of this file system, that file system, and just got with EXT4/Linux, RAID 6 (need 6 drives) if you want or RAID 1 or 10...
Linux or FreeBSD rans either on Intel or arm platform, actually both migrates binaries quicker since most requires only adjust on endian code and recompiling. (almost all NAS OSs are based on either FreeBSD or OpenBSD)

The most important thing about ARM CPUS it's is high efficiency and stability, fact most hosting farm migrated it's Linux servers to arm platform saving thousands KW on the move, no difference on the user/Web developer side.

The only advantage on Intel cpu based Nas os when use cpu transcoding features which sometimes requires some closed source software component due DRM don't like open source

Given most Nas are based on ARM it's more easy to find arm binaries than Intel binaries.

Raid 6 requires only 4 drives as minimum.

Yeah I think I should just go ahead and buy the DS414, I don't NEED transcoding, and the ARM cpu seems more than fine for what I need the thing to do. I'll select SHR-2 probably, so it'll just do an internal RAID 6.
4x4tb drives, thatll be good.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!