What's new

DS918+, is the OS located on the M.2 SSD?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LoneWolf3574

Occasional Visitor
I'm looking at upgrading to the DS918+ from my DS413 due to the failure of a third power supply giving out in the 6+ years I've owned it, however, this time the 4pin connector into the NAS shorted and nearly caused a fire, melting the plug into the NAS. I've done a quick skim of what information I could find on the Synology website about SSD cache, but what I'm wondering is if the DS918+ puts DSM on the SSD(s) or the HDD(s)? This will help me decide on what to buy for the M.2 slots. Thanks.

EDIT - I edited the title to be more accurate after I realized that it looked like I was providing information and not asking for it.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why where DSM is installed matters? It will also be cached and accelerated as necessary.

With the issue you're describing, I would not be looking at a Synology solution again. I would recommend QNAP myself. :)

If the SSD(s) can be used as both the DSM installation and still be used as a cache, install the router with only the SSD(s) installed first, then after it is fully set up, install the actual storage HDD's. :)

I'm not sure why where DSM is installed matters? It will also be cached and accelerated as necessary.

With the issue you're describing, I would not be looking at a Synology solution again. I would recommend QNAP myself. :)

If the SSD(s) can be used as both the DSM installation and still be used as a cache, install the router with only the SSD(s) installed first, then after it is fully set up, install the actual storage HDD's. :)
Just trying to determine what, if at all, to buy as an M.2 SSD. 256Gb, 512Gb, one stick, two sticks, etc. As far as other solutions go, I've been looking at Asustor AS5304T and AS6404T, but I like all the apps available and accessible for Synology on my PC, Roku, and Android devices. I still haven't pulled the trigger on the purchase, so there is still time for me to change my mind. ;)

Just trying to determine what, if at all, to buy as an M.2 SSD. 256Gb, 512Gb, one stick, two sticks, etc. As far as other solutions go, I've been looking at Asustor AS5304T and AS6404T, but I like all the apps available and accessible for Synology on my PC, Roku, and Android devices. I still haven't pulled the trigger on the purchase, so there is still time for me to change my mind. ;)

From my understanding the M2 will be used for cache only. You need 2, one for read and the other for write. You can use one but it would only read. I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DSM is installed as RAID1 on a small system partition created on each storage volume. This way the system can boot if even a single volume drive is installed and functioning.

The DS918+ does not allow using the NVMe SSDs as storage volumes. They can be configured as system cache only. They are not bootable.

This should mean that DSM does not install to them. (I don’t know this for sure, but it would be highly odd to create a DSM partition on a non-bootable NVMe device.)

DSM is installed as RAID1 on a small system partition created on each storage volume. This way the system can boot if even a single volume drive is installed and functioning.

The DS918+ does not allow using the NVMe SSDs as storage volumes. They can be configured as system cache only. They are not bootable.

This should mean that DSM does not install to them. (I don’t know this for sure, but it would be highly odd to create a DSM partition on a non-bootable NVMe device.)

That is the first configuration I would test (install DSM to the SSD's) if that doesn't work (with no other drives installed); back it goes. :)