What's new

Dual Router Setup with GigaPower

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ghaperlordan

New Around Here
Hi,

I'm using AT&T's Pace 5268AC gateway and a ASUS AC5300. I have the gateway setup to receive the internet, then act as a pass-thru device using it's DMZ functionality to pass the internet traffic to my lan router. The gateway only has the TV wireless boxes assigned to it and the router. The router has all my devices connected to it via the lan configuration. In the lan, I have a Zyxel GS1900-8HP switch, which has my NAS connected to it.

My problem, is with the above setup, my internet speeds average 525 Mbps. If I create a new Network service in my MacBook and assign it the gateway's IP address as the router, I get 930 Mbps average internet speeds. To make this work, I need to keep the gateway service having the highest Service Order in the MacBook network settings.

So, I have the following:
Network Service 1: Uses the router's IP address for the router setting and the DNS is set to 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4. In the router itself, I have the gateway's IP address as the DNS server. In the router, the WAN assigned (DHCP) IP address is the service providers IP address, so my router sees the internet as does the gateway.

Network Service 2: Using the gateway's IP address for the router setting. The DNS is set to 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4

I normally use just Network Service 1 and have access to the internet, the switch and the NAS and can see the other devices on the network. With just using this service, my internet speeds are reduced from 930 Mbps to 525Mbps.

If I use Network Service 2, I have access to the internet, I cannot see any lan device. With just using this service, my internet speeds are 930 Mbps.

My plan was to use Network Service 2 as the highest Service Order in the network settings, followed by Network Service 1 right below it.

Using the two services above, with Network Service 2 as the highest Service Order, I can realize the 930 Mbps speed; however, I don't see nor can access the switch or NAS assigned to it. But I can see the rest of the devices on the network.

It was my understanding that if the device you try accessing in the network is not found in the first network service, that the system would look to the next service to find it. I'm not seeing this happen.

I was surprised that with the gateway acting as a DMZ pass-thru device, my internet speed would drop from 930 to 525.

I'm trying to find a way, where either I just have one network service and realize the full bandwidth of my internet connection or can use two Network Services in my mac and be able to get both: access to my land devices and the full bandwidth of the internet speed.

Any suggestions?

I'm using AT&T's Pace 5268AC gateway and a ASUS AC5300. I have the gateway setup to receive the internet, then act as a pass-thru device using it's DMZ functionality to pass the internet traffic to my lan router. The gateway only has the TV wireless boxes assigned to it and the router. The router has all my devices connected to it via the lan configuration. In the lan, I have a Zyxel GS1900-8HP switch, which has my NAS connected to it.

My problem, is with the above setup, my internet speeds average 525 Mbps. If I create a new Network service in my MacBook and assign it the gateway's IP address as the router, I get 930 Mbps average internet speeds. To make this work, I need to keep the gateway service having the highest Service Order in the MacBook network settings.

You're pretty much in the configuration that is needed if one wants to run one's own router along with ATT's uVerse/Gigapower service - the weak link that you have, believe it or not, is the RT-AC5300...

Options....

1) Be happy with what you have, it works, it works rather well, and within the constraints of the AC5300...

or

2) Convert/Repurpose the AC5300 as an AP, and use it's RF for WiFi, and the Pace gateway for routing

or

3) Toss the AC5300 - the Pace box actually isn't that bad for WiFi performance actually... unless there is a compelling reason to have this in your network (consider requirements - is this a need or a want)...

What I'm going to say next might not be so popular with the Asus sub-community here...

Contrary to the tribal knowledge - the more recent Carrier provided Premises Equipment isn't that bad - if you look at the GW from a WiFi perspective - it's a 4*4:4 802.11ac config that is well tested (far more than any consumer router/AP), and it has a pretty robust 2*2:2 802.11n config for 2.4GHz that is hella strong...

From a routing side - it has pretty good QOS defaults built in to ensure that Broadband, VOIP (PSTN dialtone), and TV Services all play well...

One cool thing about the Pace GW - it does do HPNA 3.1 over Coax - e.g. MOCA, and it's a good implementation there.