What's new

dual wan (failover) + openvpn - does it work?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

przemekwawa

Regular Contributor
Hi,
I have general question, does dual wan and openvpn works properly?
I have currently problems with getting onsite and dig dipper with configuration, attaching devices etc so maybe there is simple answer to that..
Currently on remote site I have rt-ac68u with dual wan configuration - wan is faster, with static IP, generally works fine, and on lan 4 is attached very old DWR-921. I called t-mobile, changed agreement, now there is public IP (this can be still some reason, as maybe t-mobile still blocks something even when they say it should work), dyndns recognizes IP properly when connection is switched as failover, but OpenVPN does not work. DWR-921 is in "bridge" mode, but I also have some suspicion, that this bridge mode is not proper bridge mode (e.g. ping works only when both asus and d-link have enabled ping on wan, but it should depend only on asus settings). On d-link I have disabled every firewall, nat, dhcp etc.
So there can be something with t-mobile "public" IP and blocking, something with this pseudo bridge mode, and something with asus dual wan:)
Last chance is to travel there and connect something directly to this d-link and be sure that it is working fine.

I am asking here, as I found many unanswered questions from people that had trouble with that (maybe will get answer without travel:) ).

//edit - upgraded firmware to newest Merlin version, still the same.

Last edited:
Anyone? Before buying new LTE device and going onsite to reconfigure everything I would like to known if it should work properly.