What's new

Dual WAN IPV6 advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Robertxc

New Around Here
Hello,

I live in the Scottish highlands and my internet comes via a community broadband scheme from a distant hilltop, through a pair of Ubiquiti Nanostations. I currently get about 8Mbps on each, which are load balanced by a Draytek Vigor 2925. The two connections are for my house (large family with kids, xboxs etc) and my parents next door. Since everyone has different surfing habits, it makes sense to pool the connections.

I really want to move to IPV6, but I feel I need to keep the load balancing. The Vigor 2925 support either IPV6 or dual wan, but not both at the same time. I've had a close look at the Linksys LRT224, which seems to be able to load balance IPV6 connections, but before I buy one I would be grateful if someone who knows could confirm this for me. Alternatively, if someone has an alternative suggestion for a router, that would be good too. There is apparently a plan to run a 10gig fibre cable reasonably near where we are, so the community broadband folk are hoping to tap into that and give us all mega-fast connections later this year, so ideally any router will need to be able to potentially handle 300Mbps+ connections.

Thanks in advance

Depending on your skills really. If you are a skilled or advanced user you can go for mikrotik routerboards, ubiquiti edgerouters and such. Normally i'd recommend mikrotik routerboards because they are very flexible with what they can do and will perform dual WAN in various ways but it is complicated to set up. All major consumer routers (linksys, tp-link, Asus, Netgear, etc) have dual WAN but their stability is questionable. some would recommend the cisco RV but i think cisco RVs have limited throughput.

Ofcourse if you want i could recommend using a mikrotik CCR1036 to handle that 10G fibre cable they are running for your internet directly without needing a modem (so you can have 10G and everyone still keeps their old cable). Ideally you might want to install a 3rd party firmware such as tomato or openwrt on a router with fast hardware to perform ipv6, dual WAN and also handle 300Mb/s of traffic if the device supports the firmware in a stable manner. A router with a dual core ARM A9 at 1Ghz running stable firmware 3rd party firmware will be fast enough as long as it doesnt have wireless radio stability issues

I don't recommend the Linksys LRT series for IPv6 at this time.

I also don't recommend using IPv6 unless required by your ISP until the transition protocols (6rd, 6to4, etc...) are no longer required.