What's new

Dust Enclosure - Network Gear in Garage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

spc337

New Around Here
Anyone find or build a cheap enclosure to keep a switch in a garage so it doesn't get kill by dust or insects?

Anyone find or build a cheap enclosure to keep a switch in a garage so it doesn't get kill by dust or insects?
How many WATTS of power does it draw?

If it is just a small switch drawing a few WATTs the heat it generates won't be that much so you probably could get by by keeping it in a medium size plastic storage tub.

How many WATTS of power does it draw?

If it is just a small switch drawing a few WATTs the heat it generates won't be that much so you probably could get by by keeping it in a medium size plastic storage tub.

It's only 90 watts and puts out 306.9 BTUs/HR. I'll have to research if that is a lot... I was think cutting a plastic tub and putting a HEPA filter on top to allow air flow. Since I'll have 6-8 data cables running to it, I was hoping for a more elegant solution but maybe this is the most cost effective.

That is a lot of heat to dissipate passively.

You are probably going to need a fan to draw air out of any enclosure during at least the warmer months.

I have a small 8 port unmanaged switch mounted in my structured wiring cabinet but it only draws seven WATTs.

90 watts? That's like an old incandescent light bulb used to keep something warm.

Any chance the network stuff can be put on a shelf inside your living space?

If not perhaps a usb powered fan could Cool things down?

Consider a 5 to 8 port non-managed switch - most of them these days are pretty low power, no fans, pretty well sealed up...