What's new

Edimax APC500 - what does it bring to the party?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AlanGee

New Around Here
European availability of the APC500 AP controller is starting (after a lot of "coming soon").

Given the APs themselves can be set up as a controller for up to 8 APs what benefits does the APC500 bring beyond addressing up to 30 APs?

I'm at 4 APs and will expand to 8 over the next year most likely. Curtently one of the APs is doubling as AP controller.

I can buy a CAP300 for £50 and dedicate it to controller duty or buy an APC500 for £300 - quite a difference!

Your thoughts appreciated.
Thanks, Alan

I'd like to know more about this product. Does it aid fast roaming? Will it be upgraded to manage more devices at some point?

Could this be tested, verses using an AP?

Right now, I use 3 x wap1750. Roaming appears to work well, even with the third AP acting as both manager and transmitter.

I think the wap1750 can control up to 16 devices. So we have; 8, 16 and now a 30 device controller.

The APC500 now supports 128 APs. I think the wap1750 supports 16 with the radios off only.

Any idea what the hardware specs are for this APC500? Can SNB use their contacts to find out please?

Availability is still poor in the UK.