What's new

Edimax WAP1750 & CAP1200 Pro APs Band Steering

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PacketRider

Occasional Visitor
Do they have band steering? It's a very useful feature. With it, even though there are 2 signals of 2.4 and 5GHz, the clients only see one SSID because the AP chooses the better of the two signal to associate.

I just picked up the WAP1750 and can confirm that it does NOT support band-steering. If you are looking for one that does, I know the ENgenius EAP1750H has that feature.

ugggh... the dreaded 'next firmware'. I've been waiting over 18 months for it from Ubiquiti and it still hasn't materialized. Are you basing that info on the Network World review or do you have some 'insider info' ;-)

BTW - I don't think the review clearly stated how painful this slow-to-update the management interface is. Every time you change a single thing you have to wait between 10 and 60 seconds to apply it. The only good thing I can say is that it only appears to drop the radio you are working on (vs the whole unit which the Engenius does)
The WAP1750 itself is ok (I'm just running it in a standalone domestic test) - it came out of the box showing a 'JO' country code on the 5Ghz (2Ghz shows US correctly) so I suspect some teething troubles on a few features that hopefully will come with some firmware updates. It doesn't feel as 'polished' as the Engenius, but there sure are a hell of a lot more configurable features and should be something they could easily fix.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!