What's new

Edimax WAP1750 & CAP1200 Pro APs review

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

digitalfreak

Occasional Visitor
Is the fast roaming feature of the Edimax similar to the zero handoff on the Ubiquti devices?

Any chance you could test the AP in controller mode with the AP active to see how much of a hit you take from using that option?

Did the CAP1200 show any directional preference similar to the UAP-AC retest indicated?

Also, for these ceiling mount units, is signal presented usually as a dome or as a sphere in general?

edit: it would also be interesting to know how the performance changed when using the AP both as the controller and an AP.

Random question - I just picked one of these WAP1750 up from Amazon, and while the 2Ghz is transmitting the correct country code 'US', the 5Ghz seems to transmit country code 'JO' no matter what configuration settings I apply.

I've already logged a support ticket with Edimax, just wondered if any other WAP1750 users had seen this (or whether I should just pack it up and ask Amazon to send me another)
Thanks!

Random question - I just picked one of these WAP1750 up from Amazon, and while the 2Ghz is transmitting the correct country code 'US', the 5Ghz seems to transmit country code 'JO' no matter what configuration settings I apply.

I've already logged a support ticket with Edimax, just wondered if any other WAP1750 users had seen this (or whether I should just pack it up and ask Amazon to send me another)
Thanks!

How has the testing been for the Edimax and the ENgenius APs?

I am looking into making the wireless network in my home robust. Currently using 2 Airport Exstreme access points in AP + Extender configuration. It works OK, but starting to notice some problems when a lot of devices are on the network and the 5GHz performance is terrible in my house.

Have been looking at SMB / low-end enterprise solutions that will allow for two or three APs so I can get maximum placement. I do IT consulting and while I love an MR34 or a couple MR26s in the house, I think it's a little over my budget. I am also trying to avoid putting in something that requires a subscription. First looked at some of the Ubiquiti stuff, but I would rather have the controller run as an appliance on the network. I don't want to have the software running on my standalone PC. Would rather not fuss with setting up AWS to run their controller in the cloud.

The Edimax looked like just what I needed. Change one AP into a controller and then purchase another AP or two to get coverage in the rest of the house. Haven't seen a lot of reviews however. Would love to know if the 5GHz radio problem has been worked out!

Wanted to add in that I tried the Edimax CAP1250 recently. The system overall is not bad, but wow is the interface terrible. I saw the same problem where the 5Ghz radio shows up as country code JO. I am running the latest firmware. Tech support has been helpful, but not much they can do so far. It ran on 2.4GHz, but I was getting problems on my devices when I used the same SSID as I had configured on my previous AP.

Sent it back and picked up a Ubiquiti ACAP. The system is so much nicer. I am running the management software on my synology, so don't need to dedicate any hardware to it or run in the cloud. So far I only have one AP up, but will add another when I get some wiring done. Set up the same SSID as my previous WAP and clients didn't have any trouble associating. Had to do some backups and restores as I was replacing a desktop computer this weekend and it performed really well.

Wanted to add in that I tried the Edimax CAP1250 recently. The system overall is not bad, but wow is the interface terrible. I saw the same problem where the 5Ghz radio shows up as country code JO. I am running the latest firmware. Tech support has been helpful, but not much they can do so far. It ran on 2.4GHz, but I was getting problems on my devices when I used the same SSID as I had configured on my previous AP.

Sent it back and picked up a Ubiquiti ACAP. The system is so much nicer. I am running the management software on my synology, so don't need to dedicate any hardware to it or run in the cloud. So far I only have one AP up, but will add another when I get some wiring done. Set up the same SSID as my previous WAP and clients didn't have any trouble associating. Had to do some backups and restores as I was replacing a desktop computer this weekend and it performed really well.
How is the range on your AP? Also are you getting noise from the device, lastly how hot is the unit to the touch?

I don't really have it in optimal positioning right now. It is wall mounted vertically about 6 feet up in a corner bedroom. However, the range has been really great. My main AP previously was a 5th gen Airport Extreme and both the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz radios are really good. Most of my devices currently use the 2.4GHz radio according to controller software. One of the problems I had with my previous setup was constant loss of association with devices (laptops, playstation, tv, amazon echo) that required you to cycle the wifi/repair connection/reboot on the wireless device. I haven't seen those problems since installing the AP.

I am not getting any noise from the device, but like I said it is in a corner bedroom where I keep my NAS, so I am not sure if I would notice. If I put my ear up to it, I can hear a slight noise. As for heat, I don't think it runs any hotter than my previous airports.

There is a new Firmware (1.3.12) as of 11.11.2015, which has multiple fixes for NMS and introduces a setting "Smart Handover" which can be enabled and for which a RSSI Threshold can be set. Unfortunately there is no description what the setting does, but the name suggests that it's for roaming.

the amped apr 175p pro series is a clone of this and the FCCID says edimax made thier's as well... LOL. I tested it and have it on hand as well right now.

Draytek VigorAP/AP910c seems also to be the same hardware, but firmware differs.
https://www.draytek.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=5633:vigorap-910c&lang=en
Also I got confirmed by Edimax Technology Europe B.V. Germany that the Edimax Pro (CAP1200/WAP1250/WAP1750) APs will get DFS and more channels on the 5GHz band. According to the support manager they are in the process of recertifiying and the firmware should be released until the end of 2015. (I expect the firmware will be delivered not before january).

Bought 3 wap1750 for fast roam. Works really well. I probably would have 90% coverage with just 2 APs but oh well.

Roam is almost instant to a minute. Depending on signal strength.

I noticed that 5G only has channels 36, 40, 44 and 48. In the article it uses channels over 100. What's going on? Is that the country selection? I'm in the UK.

Overall, I rate these as brilliant compared to home routers/APs. Of course I use a separate wired router now.

I've got 2x WAP1750s and a CAP1200 deployed, with a WAP1200 acting as controller using a variety of clients (Android and iDevices, laptop, Roku, etc). Overall very happy - system is VERY stable and offers great performance and throughput, and centralized management via the NMS controller is very nice. Was using Unifi before, same idea but got sick of instability in the firmware and controller software both.

However, I can't get guest network IP filtering to work, and got no response to a support request from Edimax. My understanding is that I should be able to use this to prevent a client on the guest SSID from seeing other devices on the network. I want to limit guests to accessing only the router, none of my other devices. Anybody got this working? Assume the APs have IPs from 192.168.1.250 - .253 and the router is on 192.168.1.254, subnet 255.255.255.0. Can I set either a permit or deny rule to prevent wireless clients seeing anything below some arbitrary address, say .240? Do I need to allow access to the IPs of the APs themselves or the DNS range used for mobile users?

Would really like not to have to figure out VLANs to make this work.

Thanks!

However, I can't get guest network IP filtering to work, and got no response to a support request from Edimax.
Hi,
Have you tried the new Firmware (1.3.15) which came out on Mar 14?
It has some changes related to guest mode in the changelog.

The newest firmware on the UK website was 1.3.13 (dated 18/3/16) and I was on 1.3.11 (dated November 2015). This firmware still only has 4 channels on 5G. Installation was smooth on a WAP 1750 controller and pushed to 2 managed APs.

@TheSkipper, as far as I know the only way to separate access via SSIDs is VLAN.

I use my main SSID on VLAN 1 and a manual guest on VLAN 4. I didn't use their built in guest mode as at the time I couldn't include the controller in a guest VLAN. I think!

I think the update now allows the controller wifi to be managed by NMS instead of separately. If that is the only benefit then I don't see this being much benefit to me. I'm quite happy setting the controller WiFi up independently from the NMS group.

The new firmware now shows the controller CPU and memory stats. Before, I could only see the managed AP stats. So this is useful.

The dashboard now displays the band that devices are connected to. Before I had to remember the Mac addresses to understand which band was used for each gadget.

Last edited:
AFAIK, this WAP uses 802.11r. Does it use 802.11v and 802.11k?

Since switching sometimes does not occur, and I get a sticky client, I would guess 11v is not implemented. Anyone know for sure?

Regarding my own post a while ago, the number of 5G channels were going to be expanded in future to the same as in the review. This came from edimax services.

They said that the firmwares were the same, European and USA, but that internally the hardware knew which type it was. So we have to wait for the extra channels to be enabled.

There is a new setting called CE Adaptive that can only be set as a group and not individually. I'll have a play and see if I can figure out what it does. It appears under the 2.4G settings. Googling, it could be channel changing. Not convinced though.

I added the controller to my list of managed APs now.

Last edited:
I was in contact with an Edimax support engineer and can present you the solution to access the upper Bands on all Edimax Pro APs.
1. Install newest Firmware on your CAP1200/WAP1750 (should also work on newer Models (OAP1750, CAP1750))
2. Login to your AP
3. Change URL to http://<ip of AP>/engineer.html
4. Login with User: engineer Password: engineerpwd
5. Activate Band 2 + 3
6. Profit!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!