What's new

eero Tweaks Its Wi-Fi Mesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
5fbf4d61-181b-436d-a83d-2e522846b1d9.png
eero today announced a new generation of its Wi-Fi mesh technology. "TrueMesh" is a complete revamp of the wireless technology that runs eero. It includes "significant improvements" to mesh routing algorithms, that the company says will up to double wireless throughput in its backhaul (eero to eero) connections.

TrueMesh also includes "far greater intelligence" for network adaptation and ability to add even more eeros to a system. TrueMesh also makes it possible to connect additional eeros to any eero using Ethernet cabling.

The free update will automatically roll out to eero networks over the next few days.

eero also now supports Amazon Alexa skills for pausing internet, and shutting off eero LEDs. Enhancements to the eero app will also be rolling out "in the coming weeks" that provide more information about network activities such as how much data connected devices are using, eero connection strength and advice on eero placement.

Check eero's blog post for more information.

I tried the Eero but found that the Orbi provided much better performance. In locations far from the first Eero and close to the 3rd Eero I would get about half the speed that I got from the Eero connected to the modem. With the Orbi I get my full speed everywhere including out in the yard.
It sounds like a big update. Is it possible to do via a firmware update what the Orbi does via hardware, having a dedicated backhaul channel?

hmmm

so what eero gave us first was what "untrue mesh " ? lol , makes me wonder if they where keeping this true mesh for eero 2 but realized ppl wernt happy and the original eero needed fixing

even with double the wireless back haul will it compete with the likes of orbi , fortunately tim has both so can retest and compare , will be interesting to see if the claims match the blurb

and this

"At roughly 40 feet per hop, that means you could easily deliver enough bandwidth from one end of a football field to the other, and still be able to stream 4K Netflix in the end zone." ( btw our foot ball fields are 500 feet long lol )

really is a silly claim to make as we dont live on a football field , 40 feet out doors would be far less indoors and through walls

even so i would like to see through 3 hops ( im assuming the adds up to the 300 feet football field ) a 4k video running without issue on a system with other users

in the diagram shown ( which look quite similar ti another diagram ) it says underneath the image

"Dynamic rerouting means that data can take multiple pathways to reach a device, optimizing for the fastest, most reliable path."

not sure if that double talk or not ? it uses one path or the other right , it doesnt use both paths at once , which means it just chooses the best route and uses it or does it actually flip and flop between ap's depending on congestion as that would be a pain if it disconnected from one and moved to another interrupting the data flow path

its good to see for those that shelled out for the eero that at least the company is at least living up to their promise that things would get better , how much better time will tell

Hmmm....

At the core of this update are significant improvements to our mesh routing algorithms, enabled by the learnings we’ve gathered through having networks up and running in homes around the world.

Think about that... "the learnings we've gathered..."

Is there an OPT-OUT policy there?

Think about that... "the learnings we've gathered..."

prob means they did bugger all beta testing before they released it into the wild and found the short comings by the way of angry end users and reviews like here on smb , cause surely they would have known the throughput limitations and hop degradation at the start

prob means they did bugger all beta testing before they released it into the wild and found the short comings by the way of angry end users and reviews like here on smb , cause surely they would have known the throughput limitations and hop degradation at the start

Not so sure about that - eero doesn't work without a WAN connection...

Privacy is cheap for some perhaps - but I'm thinking others do value it...

Problems with these Mesh system, there are no ethernet ports to use (some of us would like to run ethernet to devices). I have a Synology NAS plugged into a router. These mesh systems, I would be forced to by a wifi doogle.

Eero and Lima both support connecting Ethernet devices. Amplifi does not

Last edited:
Pulled the trigger & purchased orbi after holding off upon the release of 2.0 firmware. Solid wi-fi across the entire house from the 2 units ... 4500 sq. ft. of coverage across 3 levels with higher download speeds than eero 2.0 in a few areas. Max download per internet provider plan is 50 down. eero would give me 61 close to the gateway ... same for orbi. More distant areas of the home, eero would provide 23 down (behind 1 wall and a door) while orbi came in at 61 down ... orbi was at same location as the eero gateway while there was an additional wireless eero closer to the wall/door ... simply amazing. Out in the garage, eero 20 ... orbi 35. Most important ... not seeing any dropouts ... where before I would see the random disconnects. eero, from an aesthetics & software viewpoint, destroy the competition, including orbi. Simple in the end was the driver for me ... cut down from 4 eero's to 2 orbi's, with solid wi-fi across the entire house. Not having to "manage" my system by rebooting, etc. or hearing comments from the wife & kids about something not working or connecting.

Exactly ... I've had Orbi running for a few days and am blown away by how far reaching, strong & rock solid my WiFi signal has been. No bells & whistles via a software app ... it just plain works!

Exactly ... I've had Orbi running for a few days and am blown away by how far reaching, strong & rock solid my WiFi signal has been. No bells & whistles via a software app ... it just plain works!

I truly hope they have an excellent product/design and will not be called out by another manufacturer for boosting the signals (illegally), like they once did to Asus. ;)

I truly hope they have an excellent product/design and will not be called out by another manufacturer for boosting the signals (illegally), like they once did to Asus. ;)
This is highly unlikely. Why would they risk their leading market position?

I have toured NETGEAR's design verification lab and test house. Both are truly impressive, as are their test processes.

Leading market position? That is the highly unlikely part for me. :)

And they would risk it for the reason any business would do so: more market share/bottom line earnings. Yup! Those things never change.

Leading market position? That is the highly unlikely part for me. :)
I have seen the data. What data do you have?

And they would risk it for the reason any business would do so: more market share/bottom line earnings. Yup! Those things never change.
Nor does your cynical outlook.

I have seen the data. What data do you have?

Nor does your cynical outlook.

What data have you seen? My data is my experience and the experience of my customers. A few short years ago I knew 'most' people that had NG products. Today, that has changed and I can count on one hand how many of my customers use NG.

Tim, I keep saying I don't have a cynical outlook. Reality is what it is and business is not used to wearing rose colored glasses, because their investors don't either. Bottom line results is the bottom line.

I have seen official market share data (I think it was from NPD). So that's a broader and more comprehensive view than your anecdotal data.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!