What's new

Effect of an AP on VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wbennett77

Regular Contributor
I am currently using an AC56U as my main router and an N66U as an AP. I am running PIA OpenVPN client on the AC56U and just questioning whether the AP has anything to do with the upload/download speeds while connected to the VPN or is ALL the processing done with the main router. I assume that in AP mode that the router simply becomes a switch?
Cheers!

Last edited:
the AP wont do anything, all processing is done by the main router. However even the AC56U has very limited VPN speeds. The fastest consumer router will still have very slow VPN speeds.

Just make sure your internet doesnt go through VPN.

the AP wont do anything, all processing is done by the main router. However even the AC56U has very limited VPN speeds. The fastest consumer router will still have very slow VPN speeds.

Just make sure your internet doesnt go through VPN.

OpenVPN is the real problem - it's a userland app, and as such, it's pretty memory intensive, and the context switches between kernel space and user space extract a bit of overhead.. add to that they do all the crypto in SW, not leveraging any CPU hardware support, well...

Most SOHO Router SoC's really don't have the CPU Horsepower or Memory bandwidth to do OpenVPN well.

Doesn't mean that VPN isn't an option - just need to understand that it puts a lot of demands on the Router, might have much better luck running it on the desktop directly, or choose something other than OpenVPN - for example LT2P is an option for many...