What's new

Enabling DFS bands (channels ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Phil

New Around Here
Hi Folks. Wondering if you can help me as Asus support seem totally useless. I had to wait half a week to get no answer to any of my questions and a link to the FAQ. :mad:

I've just got a RT-AC66U for work, where we need a hub to test Wi-Fi devices. Much to my annoyance none of the DFS bands (channels 52-140) work or are available! I've installed RMerlin's firmware so I can enable Telnet in, and have changed the regions for each radio so I can get the 13 EU 2.4 GHz bands (I'm in the UK anyway), and all the US bands. I only get U-NII 1 and 3 still, no 2 and 2 extended. Any way to enable these DFS bands as it's pretty useless to me without these? I can live without 3 even, but not the DFS bands.

Are there any commands to force or disallow certain data rates or modulation coding schemes to force the things I'm testing onto certain channels?

Alternatively if this thing's going back to the shop, can you suggest any flexible routers that I can hack about with that do 2.4 & 5 GHz in all the bands that I can use for all 2.4 and 5 GHz channels? Apple helpfully lists all the channels theirs works on, but 'd rather external antenna ports as I'm doing conducted RF tests, and I have no idea how hackable these are. Currently I have a Cisco Aironet one, which is great in many ways, but it's a US model so I can only get up to channel 11 in 2.4 GHz. I'd rather a one router does it all job, and we could do with another router anyway as the Cisco gets used a lot.

Last edited:
Bumping this thread because I'd also like to know how you can enable these channels. I have an AC68U which can use ALL the DFS channels, but my AC66U cannot. Both use the newest Merlin firmware. I live in Europe, if that helps.

Thanks in advance!