What's new

Enabling Hardware Flow Acceleration (Level 2) in AC87U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gschra11

Occasional Visitor
Howdy,

After several configuration attempts, I have determined that using my ASUS AC87U downstream of my Google Fiber Box is the best configuration option I have. Google Fiber users can read this thread here for how I configured my router for a "Fiber-Box Free" configuration and why I chose to dump it and live with double-NAT routing.

I've successfully enabled CTF hardware acceleration on my AC87U, but I can't figure out how to enable FA. (Flow Acceleration) I'm not doing any IPTraffic, not doing QoS or iQoS and don't have any special port forwarding rules or special configurations. I do have parental controls and filtering enabled, but disabling those didn't enable FA either.

What am I missing? How does one enable FA on the AC87U?

Thanks!

Howdy,

After several configuration attempts, I have determined that using my ASUS AC87U downstream of my Google Fiber Box is the best configuration option I have. Google Fiber users can read this thread here for how I configured my router for a "Fiber-Box Free" configuration and why I chose to dump it and live with double-NAT routing.

I've successfully enabled CTF hardware acceleration on my AC87U, but I can't figure out how to enable FA. (Flow Acceleration) I'm not doing any IPTraffic, not doing QoS or iQoS and don't have any special port forwarding rules or special configurations. I do have parental controls and filtering enabled, but disabling those didn't enable FA either.

What am I missing? How does one enable FA on the AC87U?

Thanks!

Disable STP (Spanning Tree Protocol).

Just wanted to add that I can't get FA enabled either, with stp disabled. Could any other settings be interfering with it?

You can't enable it if you're using any form of PPPoE, which fiber connections tend to be. That's how it is for me.

No PPPoE here and still can't get it on. Any other setting to look for?

Nevermind, decided to disable it anyhow after reading it causes stuttering on streaming devices (Apple TV, Chromecast, etc)

Just wanted to add that I can't get FA enabled either, with stp disabled. Could any other settings be interfering with it?

Me too... stp disbled, QoS disabled, FA still disabled... o_O
Under WAN I've automatic IP, because my VDSL modem is working in bridge mode...

Me too... stp disbled, QoS disabled, FA still disabled... o_O
Under WAN I've automatic IP, because my VDSL modem is working in bridge mode...
Also after power off and restart of the router? I recall it's needed as a simple reboot will not do the job! :rolleyes:

The only work around I have found out is reverting to 378.56_2 (stable), then doing a complete NVRAM reset, then disable STP then NAT Acceleration then waiting for it to reboot then re-enable NAT accerlation then reboot then I find I have CTF(Cut Through Forwarding) and FA(Flow Acceleration) accelerator are enabled when set to auto.

If you enable things like bandwidth monitoring or enabling AI Protection and the following options:

• Router Security Assessment
  • Malicious Sites Blocking
  • Vulnerability Protection
  • Infected Device Prevention and Blocking

It will break it and reset to CTF and then you can't get it back without a NVRAM reset.

Ok thanks I'll try it. IS "DNS Filtering" included in your "black list" ? And the Jumbo frame?
I think QoS must turned off..
Thanks again.

Ok thanks I'll try it. IS "DNS Filtering" included in your "black list" ? And the Jumbo frame?
I think QoS must turned off..
Thanks again.

Yes, I don't use the dns filtering. I just use the standard opendns ips in the WAN config. I don't use QoS either as that will probably reset it too. I use a AC68u and I think my theory applies ac87u

Yes! It works! What I've done:
- disabled QoS
- disable STP
- disabled HW Acc.
--> self reboot
- Enabled HW Acc.
--> self reboot

Now I've a "level 2" of hardware acceleration (CFT & FA). Jumbo Frame and DNS Filtering are turned on.

Honestly, I'm happy to see there aren't any bug, but I cannot notice any misurabile differences between FA ON \ OFF.
CPU load during massive internet download\upload (I have only a 70 mbit VDSL connection) is the same in these two scenarios.

Test scenario: AC87U, bridged with a VDSL Modem. Latest Merlin, overclock to 1200Mhz.

An ubunto gigabit wired client, wget command to /dev/null of a very fast iso image (hosted in my internet provider ftp site).

See attach for Asus CPUs load...

Attachments

• FA_ONOFF.jpg
    FA_ONOFF.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,095
How can I disable STP? Im using 3.0.0.4.378_9460 and in Lan/Switch Control page i dont have the option to turn off the STP.
With only CTF enabled the max speed is around 380Mb. Thanks.

How can I disable STP? Im using 3.0.0.4.378_9460 and in Lan/Switch Control page i dont have the option to turn off the STP.
With only CTF enabled the max speed is around 380Mb. Thanks.

Try clearing your cache, try another browser, disable (or uninstall) your antivirus program, use another computer or you possibly need to do a reset to factory defaults if you haven't done so already.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!