What's new

Encrypted volumes, which specs?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bernard038

Regular Contributor
Hi All,

I am looking for a 4bay NAS, this NAS will be used to store homefolders & shares in a MS-SRV2012 domain with (max) 5 users. audio and video files will not be stored, transcoding will be not be necessary.

But, essential is that all files stored on the NAS will be encrypted, due to the sensitive information stored. Which NAS, or which combination of CPU/RAM would fit my needs?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Regards,

b.

Urge you to not use encryption provided by NAS. High risk of data loss and you can't recover data if NAS electronics fail - other than buying a new NAS.

Here's what I do, if you please:
My financial, tax, medical are all stored in a 1+GB file. That file is mounted when needed as a drive letter under Windows. TruCrypt is famous for this. But much easier to use and also free is

Second product down (free) at
http://www.safehousesoftware.com/

Ease of use is key.
To open the drive, I click on a windows link. Pop-up for password. Enter that. Now a file explorer UI appears just line in windows file explorer.

Used this for years.
And you just copy it to a thumb drive along with the software itself. Use on any other PC.

Hi Stevech,

Thanks for your swift answer! I understand your solution, and i guess i wasn't clear enough in my original posting... sorry.... A daily backup is performed to a offsite server over VPN. Users are health professionals, and due to the level of their IT-proficiency (using ctrl-c and ctrl-v is considered a form of black magic) i would like to keep everything as user-friendly as possible...

I have been doing some research last night and i noticed that QNAP offers the possibility to encrypt all drives. Does the encryption/decryption process demand a lot of system resources on the NAS? Or in performance not affected?

Best regards, b.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!