What's new

entware-ng vs optware-ng and unix instalation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LukeH

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
First of all I googled and couldn't find a response which one is better for my RT-AC56U running merlin.
So which is it better with one of the goals being installing debian-arm (as described on hqt.ro, yet there is full tutorial only for non -ng versions)
Additional questions:
- can I install debian-arm without any of those? a tutorial if possible?
- can I install instead ubuntu-arm? if yes, which entware-ng vs optware-ng vs none of those would be needed? a tutorial?
PS: I had entware (non ng) and debian wheezy till now but I intend to replace the connected hard drive completely.
Thanks

Comparing Entware-ng and Optware-ng is a difficult question due to many reasons. For one it's like asking which Linux distro is best for your PC. For another both teams are participating on this forum (hence you may receive support on essential issues from both sides).

If I recall correctly, Entware (a modern optware) was available on ARM first. Hence, I started using it and continued using it. Later there are both *-ng from each favor with Optware-ng being first to the market.

If you have to make a choice, you can check the list of available packages. See if the ones you want are only available on one of them. Another criteria you can check is which C library they use. Entware/Entware-ng for ARM uses glibc. Personally I prefer uClibc (for better efficiency). So if Optware-ng for ARM comes with uClibc, maybe worth your consideration.

Since I started using Entware, I continue to use -ng. Little difference albeit the name jump (but only -ng will be supported going forward). Debian wheezy shall continue to work in -ng.

If you can't decide, simply toss a coin..

Thanks kvic, that makes sense.
Anyway, I installed debian for now without any of the two. I did it using the archive from hqt and based on this: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/howto-debian-weezy-for-ac68-and-ac56-owncloud.15528/ It seems that latest merlin has both mount and chroot, the only things needed to make it running.
Questions:
- do you see any problems with me doing it that way (I still need to read that thread fully)?
- is there a similar archive for latest debian arm (which is 8.3 I belive and the archive I used is 8.0)? or apt-get update/upgrade gets it? I can't see my current version:
Code:
root@Asus-Samba:/# cat /etc/debian_version
stretch/sid
root@Asus-Samba:/# lsb_release -da
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Debian
Description:    Debian GNU/Linux stable-updates (sid)
Release:        stable-updates
Codename:       sid
root@Asus-Samba:/# hostnamectl
Failed to create bus connection: No such file or directory
root@Asus-Samba:/#
Thanks

I had a brief fanfare with an old chrooted Debian long time ago. Just for fun. I'm not sure actually if I had gone through the thread you cited or another one. I can't comment.

In general, the chroot method works 'cos the kernel versions are similar enough between a Debian release to the one your home router runs on. Otherwise, in my understanding it's difficult to make packages compatible. So perhaps you won't see newer Debian available in this way.

I use Entware-ng for getting a more useful linux environment on my router. I just confirmed that Optware-ng is actually using uClibc for ARM. So thanks for posting your thread. I might consider switching when I get time to tinker...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!