What's new

Epson printers unable to connect via 2.4GHz WiFi to RT-AC86U on Merlin code but ok on ASUS code?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nzwayne

My summary scenarios after two days of many code loads, factory resets and/or initialises, and configuring.
a). Two Epson ink jet printers Artisan 837 & WF-3620 work great via 2.4GHz WiFi on a RT-AC87U with 80.69_2 loaded (also have AB-solution & Skynet installed)
b). The printers work great on the RT-AC86U with ASUS code RT-AC86U_3.0.0.4_384_20308 (if one disables Airtime fairness). Smart Connect active.
c). The printers will not connect to the RT-AC86U if you have any of the Merlin code levels loaded of 382.1_0, 382.1_2, 384.3_0, 384.4 alpha1. Both printers give you an error message of "MAC address Filtering Check = Fail"...when you try to connect them to WiFi. MAC address filtering is disabled on the RT-AC86U Router. Doesn't matter if Smart Connect active or disabled.
d). If you install the ASUS code 3.0.0.4_384_20308 then install any of the listed Merlin code levels, and do not do a "Factory Default Reset" you can connect the printers. But sometime later in time...or you reboot the Router....the printers disconnect from the WiFi and you cannot reconnect them again via WiFi.

What am I missing here to connect the Epson printers to a RT-AC86U with Merlin code installed? Thanks!!

My summary scenarios after two days of many code loads, factory resets and/or initialises, and configuring.
a). Two Epson ink jet printers Artisan 837 & WF-3620 work great via 2.4GHz WiFi on a RT-AC87U with 80.69_2 loaded (also have AB-solution & Skynet installed)
b). The printers work great on the RT-AC86U with ASUS code RT-AC86U_3.0.0.4_384_20308 (if one disables Airtime fairness). Smart Connect active.
c). The printers will not connect to the RT-AC86U if you have any of the Merlin code levels loaded of 382.1_0, 382.1_2, 384.3_0, 384.4 alpha1. Both printers give you an error message of "MAC address Filtering Check = Fail"...when you try to connect them to WiFi. MAC address filtering is disabled on the RT-AC86U Router. Doesn't matter if Smart Connect active or disabled.
d). If you install the ASUS code 3.0.0.4_384_20308 then install any of the listed Merlin code levels, and do not do a "Factory Default Reset" you can connect the printers. But sometime later in time...or you reboot the Router....the printers disconnect from the WiFi and you cannot reconnect them again via WiFi.

What am I missing here to connect the Epson printers to a RT-AC86U with Merlin code installed? Thanks!!

My Epson SX435W connects & works perfectly fine with my RT-AC86U, 20/40MHz, Channel 11 & Airtime Fairness off.

My Epson SX435W connects & works perfectly fine with my RT-AC86U, 20/40MHz, Channel 11 & Airtime Fairness off.
After a lot of investigative time have resolved the problem, by swapping out the Chinese marketplace RT-AC86U (supplied from gearbest.com...err...changing default Chinese language to English and Wireless Mode on Professional tab from China to USA) by installing a English default RT-AC86U from BestBuy Canada. Both Epson printers worked fine on both AC86U units using ASUS firmware (only had to disable airtime fairness), but Merlin's code on the Chinese unit would not work with the Epson printers, "sometimes though" for less then an hour after a power off/on of the AC86U.
Merlin's code on the English default unit works fine (using 384.4_beta1 currently) with the two Epson printers and all other functions for me. Printers work either in SmartConnect Mode or separate 2.4 & 5GHz setups. Working setup is on wireless is SmartConnect enabled, Airtime fairness disabled, MU-MMO, Explict & Universal beamforming enabled.

|After many weeks ot tweaking settings these the two key settings to make the printers work, Airtime fairness - disabled, Universal Beamforming - disabled i.e MU-MMO, Explict beamforming enabled.

| www.gearbest.com technical team wouldn't swap my Chinese unit to a North American version. They expect me to always work through two screens of Chinese panels (Router SSID & Userid) to get to the main panel to flip the language from Chinese to English. They were also ok that the wireless spectrum setting be left on the Chinese default (channels 12 & 13 enabled) and not change to USA. Obviously not buying from them again as their supply solution is more complicated then it needs to be.

BTW...I used this process to change firmware levels on the Routers.
a) save settings with John's Backup/Restore tool to an USB drive
- Disconnect USB devices
- Select format JFFS partition after reboot
b) factory reset & power off
c) turn on and minimal config
d) load new firmware and reboot (required)
e) factory reset with new firmware defaults & reboot (or power cycle if b & c skipped)
f) turn on and minimal config
g) restore saved settings (be care full with jffs restore: better to follow i)
h) power off & on
i) install add-ons one by one and test to avoid issues?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!