What's new

Equipment for FTTH

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks agaian.
As an AP I might use my current Netgear R6300 as I am happy with it. Very good coverage and speeds in my house.
Anyway on wifi I have only mobile phones, tablets and TV. Nothing else.
I used DD-WRT in the past on some Linksys and Netgear routers but the performance dropped by more than 40%.
Tomato firmware was much much better.
I don't need fancy stuff... Even the stock firmware is enough for my needs.

In the end I got the Ubiquiti. For what I need it should be perfect.
Hopefully it meet my expectations on performance.
Thanks everyone for the support!

Nice job. It'd be nice to report back in a few months time with a status update on how it's worked out for you.

Yep, I will.
It should arrive today but my FTTH Service has not been activated yet. Hopefully I get it up and running by end of next week :)
For now I have to do a lot of reading on configuring etc.

Thanks

I have another stupid question :).

Need to buy also a small unmanged 5 ports Gigabit switch.
Which one would you recommend? Should be rock stable and energy efficient.

thanks

Most any 5 or 8-port unmanaged switch should do. Even TP-Link and Netgear ProSafe stuff is fair game (for most applications). Metal cases are a bonus, of course. Should be no more than $20-30 USD.

Id go with the one with the least issues. Google around. Netgear would be fine if you didnt need certain features while i would normally say cisco but looking at their recent products and market segments now i just dont know anymore about cisco.

I just went ahead and got the Netgear GS105 (version5).
Should be perfect for my needs.

Al is left now is the service being active :)

Well...

I had my services activated yesterday evening :).
As for the Ubiquiti router I spent like 4 hours getting to understand how that thing need to be configured.
With 1.60 firmware it's much easier since you have 2 wizards for setting up your network.

I ended up using some forums and articles because I wanted to do a little bit more than the wizards offer. Like IPv6 over the whole subnet etc.

Once you spend some time it get easier and easier but I had very good experience with consumer grade routers, 3rd party firmwares etc.

For someone which is completely new to routers or knows only basic settings on consumer routers it is not recommended.

I will report back in a couple of weeks and see how stable it is.

Hello Guys! I'm new here and need some advice.

I'm getting the same line as Sparxxx and im searching for the right hardware now. The mikrotik routers are okay but they have a max speed of 600mbs. I want to have the full one. I'm a fan of the easy to configure routers. I have some technical knowledge but i don't want to spent hours like sparxxx did with his new router.

I first was checking the Netgear R7000. Some users use that one and are happy with it. But there is a problem that it does not support DHCPv6-PD. Which I think will be important in the future.

So I want to know if you have any expiriences with an asus router like ASUSRT-AC68U or something similiar. Can you suggest me something? Is it easy to setup? I know that I will need a Media konverter to make it up and running...

Thank you guys!

If you want a configurable router mikrotik has routers that are very very fast such as their RB850gx2, RB1100AHx2, CCR series. They are also coming out with a new firmware that will double their NAT throughput on MIPS based devices (see their pdf for ROS 6.30). Im just waiting for the stable version to come out before i write a tutorial.