What's new

Ethernet Cable Questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SilentForever

New Around Here
I am not sure whether here is the right place to post this questions but here goes. I bought a "cat7" ethernet cable from vandesail which u can find out at amazon. When i bought it a year ago i didn't to any research on it.(my bad) So, my question is I search online and found out that cat7 can only be terminated through 8p8c gg45 or tera connectors. The ones from vandesail is terminated through rj45. So does it actually functions as cat6a as it is terminated through rj45 connectors?

Last edited:
Umm, isn't 8p8c a standard RJ45?

Is the cable already termed? If yes plug it in and see what it does. If no, cut a few inches of insulation off and see what the wire looks like.

Umm, isn't 8p8c a standard RJ45?

Is the cable already termed? If yes plug it in and see what it does. If no, cut a few inches of insulation off and see what the wire looks like.
It is backwards compatible but usually it is terminated with gg45 or tera connectors.I bought it at amazon.It is called vandesail cat7.What I wanna know is by terminating it with RJ45 like vandesail did will it reduced performance/not fully utilising it? If so, the reduced performance is equivalent to which category cable?

Plug it in and see how it works.

One note from my personal experience, I had a cable with factory termed ends I cut the ends off to run the wire through walls. Unfortunately the copper was so thin I was unable to get decent connections and ended up throwing out the cable.

I am not sure whether here is the right place to post this questions but here goes. I bought a "cat7" ethernet cable from vandesail which u can find out at amazon. When i bought it a year ago i didn't to any research on it.(my bad) So, my question is I search online and found out that cat7 can only be terminated through 8p8c gg45 or tera connectors. The ones from vandesail is terminated through rj45. So does it actually functions as cat6a as it is terminated through rj45 connectors?

RJ45's are fairly standard wiring wise (well there's two specs, but most, if not all switches understand both) - plug it in an see... it's not going to be any faster than CAT5, but at least you can use the cable ;)

SFX2000 is correct: you would need to measure / benchmark the unknown terminations. The context of its use (i.e. whether it is the bottle neck or not) will determine if it makes sense to re-terminate wit the recommended gear.

A simple test:
* measure unknown cable's performance in-situ
* replace cable with a cable that has recommended terminals and measure performance
* compare performance

Last edited:
Standards state to use like terminations for like cable etc.
It's the same twisted pair, just nicer twists and shielding. It will terminate to RJ45 but be careful as you have shielding to deal with where normally you wouldn't.

cat7? We've already migrated to cat8 :p

Many cables that claim to be a higher cat tend to be quite low. There is a post somewhere on the forum about cabling not actually being the cat version advertised.

cat7? We've already migrated to cat8 :p

Many cables that claim to be a higher cat tend to be quite low. There is a post somewhere on the forum about cabling not actually being the cat version advertised.

CAT5e is good enough for most folks in small networks - the key here is quality...

CAT6 is better for longer runs, but in most homes, unless you have either a) a really big house, or b) a very long/oddly shaped house - CAT5e is good enough for Gigabit ethernet.

So.. if you've already wired up, no worries...

CAT5e is good enough for most folks in small networks - the key here is quality...

CAT6 is better for longer runs, but in most homes, unless you have either a) a really big house, or b) a very long/oddly shaped house - CAT5e is good enough for Gigabit ethernet.

So.. if you've already wired up, no worries...
I was joking. People seem to love higher cable cats.

So here is the deal.
TIA/EIA do not have a spec for CAT7, CAT7A, or CAT7E . . . so according to them, any cable with the label CAT7 on it is CAT7.

ISO however does recognize a standard known as CAT7, and it does not require the use of a GG45 connector.
It only requires that it meets the crosstalk and noise shielding levels as well as being able to transmit at 600mhz with a high enough SNR.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!