What's new

Ethernet WAN activity off the charts when there were no active devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ian Campbell

New Around Here
I had something very strange happen today on my RT-AC3200 with merlin 378.55.
When tracking internet activity after lunch, it was going off the charts (2 GBs + uploads) and it was constant...the screen was blue. When I went to look to see what devices where active on the wireless (thermostats, an idle ipad and laptop) and then there was my wired app server & file servers which were doing nothing. Devices were not chewing up bandwidth.

I then went to my ISP website to see what the usage was....nothing out of the ordinary.

I concluded that this was a false positive alarm.

One noticeable effect was when I actually tried to download something, my speed was in the 33 KBs range. It was just crawling. I tried re-booting the router, internet but there was no improvement. I'm sorry I didn't check router cpu or ram.

I restored to factory RT-AC3200_3.0.0.4_378_7838 and speed hugely improved. I then tried to re-install merlin but I went back to the same problem. I'm staying on 378.7838 until the next release of merlin. I love the per device reporting...but i love performance more, i have to get work done.

Anybody know approximately when the next release will come?

Lol, i have the same issue with my ac3200, i just ignored it, my upload speed isn't that fast so i know it is not accurate, i'm on the latest official firmware

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!