What's new

expat VPN logistics - second WLAN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Skelshy

New Around Here
As we are preparing to move abroad. the goal is to retain access to accounts as well as streaming netflix and HBO. This forum has been very helpful and I have been learning about streaming IPs and AES hardware support in the newer Cortex A53 based SoC like the ASUS RT-AC86U

The question I have is about how to achieve a simple to use, simple to configure setup.

Can the ASUS RT-AC86U live downstream from another NAS router, nothing connected to the WAN port, just as a VPN client? This would then spawn a seperate "USA" network we can switch to and connect a TV to.

OR should I pick up a NUC or Brix, connect the wired network to the internet router, and host a WLAN over the integrated card to the same effect?

OR attempt a single router, split routes approach (where I have some doubts, both on the time spent configuring it, as well as my ability to bring my own router. Most ISPs seem to provide an AVM Fritzbox)

Thanks!

use a VPN to access geo-blocked US content...I do it every day....nothing could be easier.
PS: wtf is a fritz box?

Having lived outside the USA and traveled quite a bit your results may very when using a VPN.

Some streaming video providers are good at detecting VPNs and blocking their use. Netflix detects most VPNs and then blocks them. Some VPN providers can offer server choices that are not blocked today but in the future you may have to change.

Other streaming services use other methods to accurately geo locate you and block streamers that are not in the geo location where the streamer has rights for the broadcast.

Other web sites also block VPN users. BOA is one and I'm sure that there are others.

You will also need a reasonably fast internet connection as even when using a powerful and fast router you will lose up to 50% of your download speed based on distance alone. To judge the impact run a speedtest to your nearest server than rerun the tests to servers 4,000 - 10,000 miles distant.

Finally look at multiple technical approaches. For instance with TV and video I have found a Slingbox quite useful in delivering local content from back home. I have it connected to my Tivo so I can use its DVR function because who wants to watch a Monday night NFL game live in the very early morning hours in Europe. It can also stream Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. The downside of the Slingbox is that the quality of your stream is limited by the upload speed at the location where the Slingbox is installed. This is offset partially by the fact that you don't need to use a VPN connection.

Enjoy your journey.

Having lived outside the USA and traveled quite a bit your results may very when using a VPN.

Finally look at multiple technical approaches. For instance with TV and video I have found a Slingbox quite useful in delivering local content from back home. I have it connected to my Tivo so I can use its DVR function because who wants to watch a Monday night NFL game live in the very early morning hours in Europe. It can also stream Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. The downside of the Slingbox is that the quality of your stream is limited by the upload speed at the location where the Slingbox is installed. This is offset partially by the fact that you don't need to use a VPN connection.

Enjoy your journey.

Thanks for the slingbox suggestion. It sounded like a great idea, then I found out they now run their own advertising over your streams. Also the hardware is no longer being sold.

Not your fault obviously :)

Thanks for the slingbox suggestion. It sounded like a great idea, then I found out they now run their own advertising over your streams. Also the hardware is no longer being sold.

Not your fault obviously :)

I just checked at Slingbox.com and they are still offering two models. The Slingbox 500 and the M2. They sell them direct and through Amazon and for $349.99 Amazon will sell you a 500 model one with Prime delivery.

As for inserting advertising when you are using your own SlingBox I don't see how tht would be possible as the video goes directly from your Slingbox using your Internet connection to whatever device you are using to receive the video transmission.

I still use my SlingBox to stream mostly to PCs on my LAN and occasionally to my Iphone when I'm away from home and what to keep up on a game while my wife is shopping.