What's new

ext USB 3.0 HD Access Problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chinquapin

Occasional Visitor
I just added a Seagate 5Tb USB 3.0 drive to my RT-AC56U. Format is NTFS.

Enable Share is ON
Allow guest login is OFF
Workgroup matches my home network's workgroup name
I created (on the router's Samba share page) an account UserID/PW matching my Windows account w R/W permissions.

I can see my drive as a network device. However, I cannot login with my Windows ID/PW. It keeps returning me to the login prompt. If I use my ROUTER's browser login credentials (i.e., admin/PW), then I can login and browse the USB drive from Windows File Explorer. I've tried deleting and recreating the router account to be double sure it's a match for my Windows credentials. It is. No difference.

Ideas, please? Thanks.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Asuswrt-Merlin 380.57

Last edited:
Might want to include what version of Windows (and whether it is home/pro/etc..)

Thanks - that helps, as there are also issues with Win10 and network neighborhood browsing to \\hostname vs. user account authentication in general on Samba servers...

So if the workgroup is HOMEBASE, and the host is HOMESERVER, you might get an alert that suggests something like... (even though it might show up in the network view...)

\\HOMESERVER is not accessible, you might not have permission...

So time to break out RegEdit and change some settings... without going into too much detail, the following link walks one through very nicely...

https://techjourney.net/cannot-conn...-network-shares-shared-folders-in-windows-10/

I have a laptop with Win 10 that talks to my Synology NAS' shares and shares on other Windows PCs. No struggles to do it; no registry hacks needed. My Linux box works on the NAS too.
Irrelevant, but I don't call my Windows network the default name . And never use "Homegroup".

Thanks. The relevant tip from that link appears to be the single, last line:
"update: Make 2 credential files one for IP address and one for Hostname." Once I created a separate windows credential with my router's IP address and my Windows ID/PW, I was able to login w/o a ID/PW prompt (unless my router ID/PW was remembered...didn't direct to save that, so let me reboot and verify this...). Reboot Windows...NO—I spoke too soon. Same "incorrect ID or PW" message. So...on a whim, I tried the "Different user" option. THIS time I just entered my router IP address as user, and my WINDOWS PW. And it worked. Though I cannot imagine WHY. This is, to my level of understanding, more concerning than satisfying.

BTW: I made NO registry edits. Just added the Windows credential.

Last edited:
The credentials bit was in the link referenced by sxf2000. I'd not heard of it either. But, turns out, that didn't fix the problem. I'm seeing the main root folder, but trying to open it gives:

upload_2016-3-16_7-27-19.png

So, I'll have to revisit the link sfx200 again, though why a registry edit should be required is beyond me.

Different PC, same problem. The registry hack seems to be to enable unauthenticated guest user access, which is not what I want. But this current thrash reminds me of trying to get Macs and PCs talking on a Windows network. That wasn't fun.

EDIT: I did just enable "Guest Login" on my router. With this enabled, I can now access the directories and files w/o a problem. So, while that's NOT the way I want to do things, it is perhaps a clue to someone as to why I CAN'T do this with ID/PW...suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited:
Well...I'm frustrated. Yes, if I enable "Enable Guest Login" on my router, I can login from any Windows machine w/o ID/PW, which is NOT what I want. But, with that option DISABLED, I can't login with my Windows ID/PW, even though I've created that same credentials pair on the router for this USB drive. BUT, I CAN login from Windows if I use my ROUTER's ID/PW (i.e., admin/pw). So, my ROUTER recognizes THAT ID/PW combination, but not the ones I've set for windows. I've tried with more than one Windows ID/PW pair, so the problem seems to be with those ID/PW pairs. I DON'T want to use the Guest Login feature, but my shopping around on other forums doesn't give me a clear answer as to how to make my Windows ID/PW work with my Samba USB drive...further suggestions, please? Thanks.

You are the only person who has referenced SSID in this thread. I was referring to the router's BROWSER interface login credentials (i.e., admin/YourPassWord), NOT to anything related to WiFi authentication. Sorry if unclear.

You are the only person who has referenced SSID in this thread. I was referring to the router's BROWSER interface login credentials (i.e., admin/YourPassWord), NOT to anything related to WiFi authentication. Sorry if unclear.
Referenced SSID... I presumed that when you spoke of GUEST access on router, you were referring to the normal practice of having a different SSID for guests. My real question was why does the router guest or admin login relate to the NAS file shares problem?

Last edited:
Well, when we know the answer to that, we might know why the Windows credentials aren't accepted. It sort of makes sense that the admin/pw for the router interface would be give access to the shared drive. What doesn't make sense is why the Windows id/pw are accepted. Are they not being properly transmitted to the router? If not, how is the admin/pw transmitted w/o problems?