Ext3 permissions problem with router

Discussion in 'ASUS N Routers & Adapters' started by infamous_pb, Jan 1, 2013.

1. infamous_pb

infamous_pb Occasional Visitor

Although I didn't really want to format my USB HDD to ext3, I did so (from NTFS) per everyone's recommendations. I installed Ext2Fsd so that I can see ext3 in Windows 7. With my USB HDD plugged directly to my Desktop, I was able to create folders and moved all my files over. When I connect the USB HDD to the RT-N66U Router, I can see all my files, mapped my drive, and I can create folders that are not in any other folder (I can create folders in the root directory). However, inside already existing folders, I cannot move or create folders - It says "You need permission to perform this action." How do I fix this? I was able to create folders within other folders when the USB HDD is plugged directly into the desktop. What happened?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. infamous_pb

Ok cool. I finally figured it out. Tricky...

In case you experience permissions problems in Windows 7 on an ext3 hard drive, do this:
    - In the router settings, click on the USB Application and go to the Network Place (Samba) tab.
    - Click "Share with account"
    - From Windows Explorer, manually type in your router/network name (usually \\(then name of the router)
    - Right Click on one of the folders causing permissions problems, and go to properties.
    - Click on the security tab.
    - Click advance
    - Under permissions, click "Everyone" and click "change permissions"
    - Click "Everyone" again and click "edit"
    - Check the box that says "Full Control" and click OK and Apply...
    - Go back into the USB Application within the router settings
    - Click on the Network Place (Samba) and switch it back to Share Without Account

Now you have no more nasty permissions and can read, write, and create folders.

3. infamous_pb

Well, I thought I totally fixed it but it seems it only fixes the folders in the root directory, but not the subdirectories. Even when I try to do the same exact thing, but when I give it Full Control and select Apply to: This Folder, Subfolders, and Files it takes "full control" away and gives me "special" permissions. It only works if I individually go to each and every folder and apply these settings to each folder. Anyone know why it won't give me full control permissions on subfolders too? I got way to many subfolders to do this to.
    Surely I cant be the only one dealing with this...