What's new

Extending range- new router vs extender vs wifi adapter vs access point?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Joshing

Occasional Visitor
What's the best way to extend wifi range?

Would it be a better router, extender, wifi adapter, or access point?

In order to save money, I cut the cord and got a Android streaming TV device for my TV but it wouldn't stream so I needed to move the router and modem from my office to near the TV to get it to stream TV programs. But, when I did that, now the desktop in the office can't connect to the internet.

The problem is that this is a large house and the office and TV downstairs are on opposite ends of the house. So, I got a new, upgraded router with the ASUS RT-AC68U.

But, the wifi range with this new router still wasn't strong enough.

Out of those four options in the title, what's the best solution? Ideally, I'd like something that would extend the wifi range long enough, be easy to set up, and not be too expensive.

I was looking into setting up a new access point with the old router, but my SO would not be too happy if we had this long cable from one end of the house to the other connecting the new and old router.

If you can't relocate the main router to a more central location (between the two main areas) while ensuring it is at least 10' above ground level (not just floor level) and at least 3' clearance from all side walls and ceilings, then the best way is to run an Ethernet cable to the other main area you want coverage in.

You may also want to test each channel (and channel width combination) for both bands to see if you are using the best channels for your environment and client devices, making sure you reboot the router and your test computers after making channel changes each time. On the 2.4GHz band, check channels 1, 6 and 11 for best throughput and lowest latency. On the 5GHz band, check every channel available as these do not overlap like the channels do on the 2.4GHz band.​

Use a wired computer connected to the router and a wireless laptop placed at a few key locations in the area(s) you want coverage in and transfer a large (1GB or larger) file between the wired computer to the laptop. Keep notes and notice also how responsive the network is with each channel used (I do so by simply surfing the internet and comparing how quickly websites load, etc.). After doing this for both bands, you will find that one channel is much better than the others.​

With the cable in place (minimum CAT5e), use a router in AP mode (a very good and inexpensive choice is the RT-AC56U model. Can be found in the $50 range 'on sale').

Note that there is flat Ethernet cable available which you can run under carpets, taped to the wall, etc.

You may also want to try different firmware that can give you greater range too, like john9527's fork of RMerlin's firmware.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork-update-for-374-43-available-v18e1.18914/

What firmware are you running now? Have you ever performed a factory reset to default settings on it and then did a manual and minimal configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP?

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac66u-slow-wan-to-lan.12973/page-3#post-269410

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

If you have a lot of customizations, you may also want to use john9527's NVRAM Save/Restore utility too.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/user-nvram-save-restore-utility-r24.19521/

Even if you don't have a 'lot' of customizations, the utility above offers a lot more than the built in backup config option in the gui. Including saving your settings in a text based (human readable) format, at the very least.

What's the best way to extend wifi range?

simple answer is ethernet and a wireless access point

I was looking into setting up a new access point with the old router, but my SO would not be too happy if we had this long cable from one end of the house to the other connecting the new and old router.

you dont need to do that just have the ethernet drop down inside the wall from one floor to the other and run a second wireless access point on the floor below

or look at EOP / power line adapters to replace the ethernet as the second best option

forget repeaters and extenders as they just dont work well

and forget trying to increase transmission power as its just bad practice and bad for the neighbours as well as prob now being not legal

In order to save money, I cut the cord and got a Android streaming TV device for my TV but it wouldn't stream so I needed to move the router and modem from my office to near the TV to get it to stream TV programs. But, when I did that, now the desktop in the office can't connect to the internet.

Put the router back where it was before the move and use a couple of HomePlugs - most of the cheap android TV boxes have ethernet, and it's a better connection than the built-in wifi - point of reference here is my little Beelink-X2 box, which is a Allwinner H3 quad A7 chip - the wifi on it is barely usable, but the ethernet port works well enough...

With the cable in place (minimum CAT5e), use a router in AP mode (a very good and inexpensive choice is the RT-AC56U model. Can be found in the $50 range 'on sale').

Note that there is flat Ethernet cable available which you can run under carpets, taped to the wall, etc.

I already know my SO won't be happy with etherne cable taped to the wall so that's a no go.

And, is there any reason why you suggest to get the RT-AC56U router, which is selling for around $90, as an AP and not just recycle my old router?

just have the ethernet drop down inside the wall from one floor to the other and run a second wireless access point on the floor below

or look at EOP / power line adapters to replace the ethernet as the second best option

How complicated would be to drop the ethernet inside the walls like that? Is this something that requires an electrician.

And, there's nothing I can do with the existing coaxial cable in the office?

It sounds like a powerline line adapter might be the best option for my situation. Are there are possible issues with using a powerline?

I already know my SO won't be happy with etherne cable taped to the wall so that's a no go.

And, is there any reason why you suggest to get the RT-AC56U router, which is selling for around $90, as an AP and not just recycle my old router?

Is your SO the only one who lives there? I think you have some say too.

I don't know what your old router is. The RT-AC56U is a known commodity. :)

Keep a lookout for sales or price matching on that model. It regularly falls below the price you're seeing now.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!