What's new

External 5GHZ Wireless Antenna like that of the Asus PCE-AC68? Where to buy?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chrisisinclair

New Around Here
I have a TP-Link archer 9e. Performance is quite good but I am just shy of the magical -40 to -60DB optimal RSSI.

I currently have a Netgear D7800 which is performing admirably and I'd like to get the full 1300 mbps link speed. Right now I'm at 877 mbps consistent. I'm talking theoretical throughput, not real world of course.

I am thinking an external antenna setup like the one that comes with the Asus 1900 wireless card could do a great deal to extend my range as my computer is in the corner of my room and there are a lot of monitors / speakers and other electronics just by the antennas.

You can see the external antenna I am talking about here:

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/PCEAC68/

On my old setup I had some external wireless 2.4 ghz antennas which SIGNIFICANTLY boosted my signal strength (from the same spot).

Where can I get something similar for 5ghz? I know I will need to keep the cord length short and I am fine with that - I just need to get the antennas out from the back of my computer!

I don't really know the equipment you are mentioning (Asus 1900 wireless card?), but the link you give does have 5GHz capabilities.

I have a TP-Link Archer T9e wireless card. It supports 3x3 Su-Mimo wireless AC up to 1300 mbps. It uses 3 antennas on the back of my computer.

I want to use an external antenna setup like the Asus PCEAC68 wireless card (the link I have in the above post) to improve my reception.

He has this
Archer-T9E-03.jpg

And he can buy these antennas separately to his unit

Q1jTBXX1ce3RaPd1_500.jpg.png

Where did you buy your TP-Link Archer T9e wireless card, try some PC stores.
Am in Sweden here you can buy this gears in most PC stores where they selling WIFI guers/equipments.

Keep in mind that when you extend the connection to the antenna, you will lose some signal strength due to the longer cable.

I tried searching a few sites (including ebay, and was unable to find the antenna kit that asus used on their WiFi adapter).
Is the computer in a position where the case will be in between the antenna and the router?

Single antenna kits are pretty common, but for those, it is difficult to get any info on how much gain they provide at each band.

External antennas, esp. on MIMO WiFi, are likely to hinder, not help. Exception might be a WiFi card internal to the PC where the antennas tend to be buried in furniture, down low, etc. I don't advise using internal cards.

And yes, even a few feet or a meter of skinny antenna coax cable is very lossy. The attenuation/loss can negate the antenna gain.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!