What's new

external mimo antenna for pci-e wifi card

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rcloud

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I have an older TP-Link SOHO WN781ND wifi card on one of my PCs one floor below my router, and i have it attached to the TP-LINK TL-ANT2408C, Indoor 8dBi Omni Directional Antenna, which I place on top of my desk. This setup has worked pretty well for me the last couple of years.

Recently, i've upgraded my internet service and i get upwards of 100 Mbps so I've decided to get the TP-Link N900 TL-WDN4800 to make better use of that bandwidth on this PC with the wireless card. My router has 2 radios and i've tested the 5ghz network and it's fast.

Anyway, the N900 wifi card has 3 antennas. I currently have one external antenna, and i guess i could just buy two more...but it gets kind of clunky with 3 separate antennas on my desk. Anyone have any suggestions for perhaps a single base that has 3 connections for 3 antennas?

Something like this: http://www.oxfordtec.com/ca/rf-wlan...connector-aerials/oxfordtec-ad-mimo-7dbi.html

I'm not sure how well this one actually works, or if it's advisable to get an external antenna from a different manufacturer than the wifi adapater....anyone have experience or recommendations?

Thanks!

they are only 2.4 gig antennas so may cause impedance mis match , you need something like it with dual band antennas

TP-Link N900 TL-WDN4800

its a pitty you didnt just buy the asus pce-ac68 as it already has the antenna array

https://www.asus.com/au/Networking/PCEAC68/

yes its going to cost more initially but in the long run prob about the same in the end

Can't really recommend using a PCI card inside a desktop PC these days - RF-wise, it's a pretty noisy environment that the antenna can't really get away from, and there is leakage on the board, even if there are RF cans around it...

My suggestion is to get a decent AC1200 class USB adapter along with a USB extension cable - USB adapters have the radio inside them... many are fairly priced at 40-60 USD...

actually i haven't opened the PCE-AC56 yet because i can't seem to figure out just how long the extension cable is. the one i have now for my tp-link antenna is 130cm...very conveniently advertised on their website. i need at least 100cm, and that's kind of pushing it....but it looks shorter than that in pictures and no one has published the actual length.....a cable that's too short is..unfortunatley, a deal breaker....

i had an asus USB adapter, a good one, before my current pci-e n150 tp-link card. i bought it for the reasons you suggest, and it worked great for a couple of weeks but was really hot while working, and eventually started acting up before finally dying....i figure it's because it wasn't built for such heavy use. that's why i decided to go with a pci-e card, figured it was more robust, and it hasn't failed me in a couple of years. i'm not really interested in portability since it's for a desktop pc

Can't really recommend using a PCI card inside a desktop PC these days - RF-wise, it's a pretty noisy environment that the antenna can't really get away from, and there is leakage on the board, even if there are RF cans around it...

My suggestion is to get a decent AC1200 class USB adapter along with a USB extension cable - USB adapters have the radio inside them...

i cant agree with this as i have tested perhaps 5 pce type adapters and all worked well

you would also be limiting both coverage and throughput by going with a usb 1200 adapter

there is now a 1300M usb adapter in the dlink dwa-192 and it works fine but is a bit limited in its throughput compared to pce type adapters like the asus pce-ac68

I agree.. PCI card WiFi puts the antennas at a terrible disadvantage - buried and low.
Antennas on 3 ft. of coax - there is serious attenuation by small coax at 2.4GHz and more so at 5GHz. Probably do better with a good USB WiFi dongle and an 8 ft. USB extension cable.

Probably do better with a good USB WiFi dongle and an 8 ft. USB extension cable.

i have tested quite a few 2 x 2 wireless AC usb adapters and although good non get the same coverage as the asus pce-ac68 even with any coax loss incurred

the new dlink dwa-192 is 3 x 3 usb wireless ac and looks like the star wars death star but it still doesnt have the coverage but has better throughput than 2 x 2 usb adapters