What's new

Extreme Router Trouble

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Brody

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone. The last time I posted it was very long so I'm going to try my best to keep this one short. I have around a 1000 square foot one story home. My ISP is Verizon Fios and I have their 1 gigabit internet plan. I recently bought the Nighthawk X4s R7800 and had this really weird problem. Download speeds on my Ps4 would not surpass 200mbps and when I tested my ping there was 100% packet loss. I was on the phone with Netgear and hooked it all up on the computer also tried testing with Qos on and off. When I hooked Verizon's Quantum Gateway up my Ps4 download speeds would reach near 600mbps and my average ping was 20ms. (Ps4 is always hardwired.) It really annoyed me because I spent $250 on the X4s and it seemed to do worse then Verizon's router :(. I need a router to best suit my needs. Ps4 is number one priority (bc I'm a tournament gamer) ollowed by Streaming then the wifi. Here's what I have:

Ethernet:
- Ps4 (Needs lowest ping & high download)
- 3 4k movie boxes (Streaming)

Wifi:
- Desktop computer
- 6 cellphones

Are you using the same DNS servers with each of the routers? Depending on which DNS you use, you may get different CDN servers. Generally ISP-supplied DNS servers are best for getting closer/faster CDNs but this isn't always true. Try Google & your ISP DNS servers and see which works better.

I'm not familiar with Nighthawk, but can you reset it to the factory defaults? This is always a good thing to try first.

Are you using QoS?

This may or may not be related to your particular issue but it's very interesting regardless: https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/522ttn/ps4_downloads_are_notoriously_slow_i_might_have/

Are you using the same DNS servers with each of the routers? Depending on which DNS you use, you may get different CDN servers. Generally ISP-supplied DNS servers are best for getting closer/faster CDNs but this isn't always true. Try Google & your ISP DNS servers and see which works better.

I'm not familiar with Nighthawk, but can you reset it to the factory defaults? This is always a good thing to try first.

Are you using QoS?

This may or may not be related to your particular issue but it's very interesting regardless: https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/522ttn/ps4_downloads_are_notoriously_slow_i_might_have/

Truthfully I am not sure what DNS servers I am using. I did try factory resetting it when I was on the phone with Netgear. I tried testing my console with Qos on and then off and either time I could not achieve a download speed higher then 200mbps.

As I said in my initial post most of my devices are hardwired via ethernet with the exception for mostly cell phones, so it does confuse me as to why my Verizon Quantum router out performs the X4s. Quantum pulled 600mbps to my Ps4 compared to the X4s 200mbps.

As for the link you provided I'm going to check that out now and I will get back to you.

Could you try something. If PS4 is primary concern. Enable DMz on that IP address. Also disable qos and disable firewall. ( or dmz if you keep firewall on )
With your speed is qos not needed as it only generate load on the router
The PS4 does not need a firewall so dmz shoulnd hurt
Also if you dit not assign a static ip. Try to do that with in the router ( dhcp lease Time and set lease reserve on mac of PS4 )
On that way you can also force dns settings ( 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for google dns )
Hope this helps

Greets from PowerChaos
Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Could you try something. If PS4 is primary concern. Enable DMz on that IP address. Also disable qos and disable firewall. ( or dmz if you keep firewall on )
With your speed is qos not needed as it only generate load on the router
The PS4 does not need a firewall so dmz shoulnd hurt
Also if you dit not assign a static ip. Try to do that with in the router ( dhcp lease Time and set lease reserve on mac of PS4 )
On that way you can also force dns settings ( 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for google dns )
Hope this helps

Greets from PowerChaos

Sounds good I will give that a try, but what router are you saying I should do this on? Do you recommend a specific router for my needs?

@Brody
I personal love asus
I tried other routers but nothing goes over asus and Merlin ( asuswrt Merlin )
They are not the cheapest ones but they provide quality
I prefer the rt-ac88u ( because repeater mode ) or the rt-87u ( great wifi )

Of course this is just my personal opinion
I love the interface and settings it can xd

And if I am not mistaken. Most users do use the ac 67 model ( but only single CPU and getting old but it is cheap xd )
Greets from PowerChaos

Greets from PowerChaos

@Brody
I personal love asus
I tried other routers but nothing goes over asus and Merlin ( asuswrt Merlin )
They are not the cheapest ones but they provide quality
I prefer the rt-ac88u ( because repeater mode ) or the rt-87u ( great wifi )

Of course this is just my personal opinion
I love the interface and settings it can xd

And if I am not mistaken. Most users do use the ac 67 model ( but only single CPU and getting old but it is cheap xd )
Greets from PowerChaos

Greets from PowerChaos

I just need something to guarantee a consistent high download and low ping to my Ps4. The X4s had great reviews and was out performed by the Verizon Quantum which makes no sense to me. Thank you for your response much appreciated.

I think this is a double NAT issue common with two routers connected like this, try putting your R7800 in the DMZ of the FiOS unit or use transparent bridging. I have my R7800 in DMZ but I have used transparent bridging which is better till, recently. I haven't encountered the issue your having so a NAT issue is my guess. I have similar setup except my ISP is CenturyLink.

Also DNS shouldn't affect speeds, I highly doubt it has anything to do with it. I'd leave DNS alone as ISP DNS can be faster than Google's, like in my case, or try a DNS benchmark if you feel it's that necessary. DNS helps look up addresses and has nothing to do with sustained speeds, like downloads.

Last edited:
I think this is a double NAT issue common with two routers connected like this, try putting your R7800 in the DMZ of the FiOS unit or use transparent bridging. I have my R7800 in DMZ but I have used transparent bridging which is better till, recently. I haven't encountered the issue your having so a NAT issue is my guess. I have similar setup except my ISP is CenturyLink.

Also DNS shouldn't affect speeds, I highly doubt it has anything to do with it. I'd leave DNS alone as ISP DNS can be faster than Google's, like in my case, or try a DNS benchmark if you feel it's that necessary. DNS helps look up addresses and has nothing to do with sustained speeds, like downloads.

So you're saying I should use both routers? Put the Verizon Quantum in bridge mode to the X4s? I'm just confused sorry. Thank for the help though I still haven't solved this problem of my Verizon router outperforming the Nighthawk.

Transparent Bridging means that the FiOS unit acts only as a modem (router aspect is disabled) and your router doesn't have to deal with NAT issues upstream. If that's not available, the alternative is DMZ. Basically put the router IP in the DMZ of the FiOS so that your router bypasses the FiOS Firewall.