What's new

Extremely weird performance of RT-AC68u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

v1rt

Occasional Visitor
Hi folks,

Just joined. Today was also my first time installing a custom firmware. I was told to install asuswrt-merlin. The version I installed is 378.51. The filename I downloaded is RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_378.51_0.trx

Anyways, I'm able to receive ip address from RT-AC68u router either via wifi or lan connection using Wireless mode in ASUS router. I'm able to browse the internet but it's very intermittent. For example, I'll test speed via http://www.speedtest.net/ Once I begin test, it starts with ping and I get around 27ms which is the same value I get when directly connected. That's good. However, when it starts the download test, it would reach the fastest speed which is 21mb but after 3 seconds, the download speed goes down and down and down until 1.5mbps and it wouldn't complete the download test. I waited for 20mins but it never completed. I just stopped it. I looked at QoS, firewall, etc. They're all disabled. I even disabled UPnP hoping it was the culprit, it wasn't. I changed address manually but it never helped.

However, when I change to AP mode, everything is normal. Everything is fast, no issues. Of course when using AP mode, firewall is disabled.

I don't know what's going on. Someone in irc told me he is experiencing the same thing.

Hopefully someone can shed some light.

Thanks!

Strange indeed.

Are you doing double-NAT? (Using 2 routers in a row.)

It's fixed now after someone from #asuswrt dal.net channel helped me. All I did was to do a factory default restore. Maybe the original asus setting had something that merlin didn't like.

:)

All I did was to do a factory default restore. Maybe the original asus setting had something that merlin didn't like.
Hi,

This is a general rule: Switching firmware version require a factory reset (after the switch). :eek:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

You know I'm also new the world of Asus wireless AC routers with my new RT-AC56R. I was also told to install the latest build of Merlin, but I opted for the Asus firmware instead and it's been rock solid for over two weeks now. Speeds on both bands are very good and haven't had any dropped connections or hiccups of any type. Other than some additional features, I'm not sure why I'd even need to use Merlin since I'm not a networking master and only have a few wireless devices along with my powerline network.