What's new

fan controllers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xmfan

Occasional Visitor
Hi All,
I am assembling a new system using a mid-tower case. The case can support 7 fans. In shopping around, I see there are a number of PC fan controllers available.

Lamptron brand appears to be a highly regarded company in that area.

Having never used one of these types of PC fan controllers, I'm not familiar with the associated terminology. It seems many have anywhere between 4, 6 or 8 "channels" that can control fans.

Question: Can I connect two fans per 'channel' ?

I've looked around the net, including the mfg's websites but can't seem to find that answer.

Ideally, I would like to connect:
1) Two intake 140mm fans at the front of the case to channel #1,
2) Two 140mm intake fans on the side of the case to channel #2
3) Two 140mm exhaust fans on top of the case to channel #3
4) One 120mm exhaust fan on the back of the case to channel #4

With that configuration, I would only need a four channel device.

Is what I am trying to accomplish possible, or do I need larger device (7 or 8 channel unit) and need to configure one fan per "channel"?

thanks.

How many fans you can connect to each channel depends on how much amperage each channel supports and how many amps each fan needs.

I am using a less expensive fan controller (about £20) but it has a cool display and 4 channels and has thermometers. There are many types of fan controllers, some have thermometers, some are manual based.
The amps are what matter. You also need to make sure your PSU can support all those additional fans. Take the voltage and multiply by amps than add up all the watts to figure out how much strain you are adding to the system. As long as you are within power limits it is fine however there is the rule of diminishing returns so you cant just keep adding funs.

Design your airflow, where air goes in and out. Rear and top fan help cool CPU. Dual top fans or dual rear fans cool dual CPU rigs. Side fans cool GPUs and cards while adding a fan or 2 infront or below allows for air in. It also depends on the design of the case. Just remember that hot air goes up so having an intake fan below and the outtake fan higher helps with heat dissipation. GPUs actually take air from infront and vent it out the back, the airflow fan on a GPU is different from a CPU or case fan. Dual top fans dont really help much for single CPUs but it does depend on the heatsink size, cpu fan direction and where your CPU is. In some cases dual top fans can help. Room ventilation/AC can actually help as well and dust filters can help keep the dust out but you would have to clean it regularly.