What's new

Farm Wifi equipment choice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Daybreak

Regular Contributor
Howdy,
Total setup for large wifi setup.
500 acre farm, next door farms are 190 acres and 850 acres and 310 acres. So, I do not have any channel interference issues. Main location is high mound over property. Requirements would be outdoor POE access point omnidirectional for omni coverage. barn due south 2300' down hill (approx 4 degree angle) clear shot for outdoor poe bridge(1 computer 1 camera), and another stable due east 1240' down hill (approx 6 degree angle) clear shot for outdoor poe bridge (2 wired powered cameras)

Since the whole setup is new, I would like to stay with the same vendor for compatabilty sake. Sharing resources (main internet access, main server, main printers all at main house with router and 16 port gig switch)
I am open to vendors (engenius, amped, trendnet,etc...) I am not looking at high$$$$$ cisco kind of prices either

I've used engenious' low cost bridges with integral antenna, outdoor packaged. Since you're rural, you can use 2.4GHz.

EnGenius Dual-Band Outdoor AP - run ethernet to it, with a couple of high-gain antennas - 9DBi or better omni's...

http://www.engeniustech.com/busines...ges/289-80211abgn-outdoor-dual-radio-repeater

For the clients - Alfa has some high power USB adapters, including both high power USB portable adapters, along with very high power/high gain fixed adapters (e.g. hard mount on the tractor cab)...

http://store.rokland.com/products/alfa-tube-un-802-11n-outdoor-long-range-usb-cpe-adapter-n-male

Keenanj, one of the board members, is a reseller, and may have more options...

Howdy,
OK, I am looking at something like this.

Engeniustech EOR7550 via POE to rooftop, also buy a omni ant for unit,
the EOR7550 is the multipoint while the barns would have the directional units such as the EOC5611P

1x EOR7550
1x __________omni ant.
2x EOC5611P

they all come with POE injectors, I have cmx cat5e cable already. a 5-port switch at each barn

Is that Keenen Systems a supporting forum sponser here?

Hey Keenanj - you owe one - work the deal thru :cool:

good prices, and Keenanj is an absolute ninja at making these things work.

I would probily go with all eoc2611p units.

http://www.keenansystems.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=315

One on the main building in access point mode with

8.5dBi omni

http://www.keenansystems.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3&products_id=19

and pigtail

http://www.keenansystems.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3&products_id=67

and then the other units in client bridge mode pointed back at them omni.

Howdy,
With forward thinking, I am thinking about keeping it all on the 5Ghz range. That way, I know I will not have any interferance from anything. The 5611p in CB is the same but 5Ghz range. (hidden ssid)
The eor7550 unit operating 5Ghz 802.11a with omni ant for the other 5611p pointing to it. The 2nd radio set at "n" only for a mini wifi umbrella

You'll be fighting an uphill battle trying to keep it all on 5GHz. (in my opinion) due to the fact that 5GHz. is attenuated by distance and obstructions a lot quicker than 2.4GHz. That's physics.

Exactly why I say use all eoc2611p units they just work.

5.8Ghz works great for point to point in noisy areas but not great for point to multipoint.

Howdy,

OK, So I go with EngeniusTech 2611p for each of the CB and still a EOR7550 with a 2.4Ghz omni for the central distribution? or a 2611p with a omni for the central distribution?

2 x 2611p
1 x eor7550 w/ 8.5dbi omni w/pigtail

Thanks

all eoc2611p no eor7550

Howdy,
OK, thru mapping I have the distances involved.

House roof top mounted eoc2611p with omni directional ( 8dbi or 12 dbi) plus pigtail connector.

shop at a distance of 506ft
barn at a distance of 1205ft
and maybe the gate house at 3768ft (clear line of sight)

I would first get 3 2611p units with 1 omni and try it all out. I would try one at the long distance to see if it will work, and if it does, I would order 1 more unit.
OK, I will wait for a reply here, then get on your site and order up. Thanks.

Which omni ant should I go with? 8 or the 12?

thanks

8.5dbi it can cover up to 3 miles line of sight.

12dbi is too narrow coverage for that short distance.

3 miles - I disagree with. Grossly overstated.

12dBi omni is as said above narrow beamwidth - like a flattened doughnut. It'll work if it is about the same elevation as the desired coverage area.

Instead of an omni, if your coverage need not be omnidirectional, consider using a 45 or 60 degree yagi. L-Comm sells them, inexpensive.

Some bridges can be an access point, concurrently.

Advise based on my long experience, and laws of physics: at 5Mbps and up rates, in 2.4GHz, it's difficult to get more than 750 or 1000 ft. with omni's. With parabolics or long yagi, you can get to about 2500 ft.

Howdy,
update; I received my 3 eoc2611p units and 8dbi ant from Jeff Keenan. The eoc2611p by itself on bg mixed mode at 23db approx. 10ft off the ground on a pole. drive down the road to the other side of the farm, approx 1 mile, and I am sitting in my truck with my laptop surfing the internet. This is just the unit and my laptop. (HP dv6700 with Intel 4965AGN) I need to get these into position and report back.

great I told you guys up to 3 miles (on water) :-}

Howdy,
As getting these units configured out
1 unit 2611p with 8.5dbi omni access point
2 units 2611p internal set as client bridge.
b mode only
28dbm power
wpa2-psk encryp

temp setup is 1000ft and I have rssi -72 thru a bunch of trees in between. Once these are in place, it is wide open clear LOS. The unit when selected as CB - client bridge, sets most parameters up with selecting the corresponding access point. So far the units are working good, I am happy with the choice. Thanks to Jeff of Keenan Systems for the quick ship too.

OH, by the way, I was in town and did a inSSIDer, Now I understand what urban and city folks have to contend with about only so many channels for wifi. The farm does not have any wifi being picked from anywhere, its wide open, I guess that is also why my Asus RT-n66u units can be picked up and used at 2000ft outdoors as well.

Last edited:
Howdy,

With the setup, the farthest location is very very weak. What type of antennae should I go with to extend the eoc-2611p? the gate house at 3768ft / a air802 yagi-wifi-18-dbi or a air802 wifi-grid-24-dbi?
or any other manufacturer out there.

Again, its pointing to a eoc-2611p with a 8dbi omni-directional ant. on 2.4Ghz 802.11b at full power 28dbi

Overall system update
Rural Farm Wi-Fi system
4- EnGenius EOC2611P’s
1- AIR802 12dBi omni-directional antennae
1- Perfect Vision NPR6B non-penetrating roof mount
3- Sapido RB-1732 routers, 1000mw, 2 x 5 dBi ant working as local access points
1. EOC2611P, with a 2ft pigtail connector to the AIR802 12dBi omni mounted on the NPR6B roof mount (2 ½ story building). Set as the main access point
2. EOC2611P CB mode is mounted on a J-hook 18ft off ground (506ft away) with cat5e back to a RB-1732 in access point mode.
3. EOC2611P CB mode is mounted on a pole 7ft off ground (1205ft away) with cat5e back to a RB-1732 in access point mode.
4. EOC2611P CB mode is mounted on a J-hook 18ft off ground (3768ft away) with cat5e back to a RB-1732 in access point mode.
Roof mounted eoc2611P configured in B only, access point, wds client mode clicked,
all other eoc2611P units are configured in B only, client bridge.
All units have static IP’s for easier management.
All locations are working and passing DHCP server assigned IP addresses.
From Main access point
Rssi
506ft 20dBi power -39dBm
1205ft 22dBi power -44dBm
3768ft 28dBi power -70dBm

:) using channel 11 off main unit with other sapido ap's running channel 1 and 6
Thanks to the forum and to Jeff Keenan

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!