What's new

Faster WiFi than Ethernet upload speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DogT

Occasional Visitor
Have a MoFi Sim7 connected to TMob tower about 7 miles away. When I use it with WiFi to my W10 computer I get faster upload speeds than with wired cat5 Ethernet. Why is this? I'm not talking super speeds here, I only get 20-50Mbps down and 3-10 upload.

with what and how are you measuring bandwidth ?
Internet speed tests are highly variable due to the involvement of multiple nodes and congestion in the transfer path.

Using Speedof.me. When I'm testing the MoFi is only connected to a single W10 computer in either case. And actually when I test using my cell phone, the upload speeds are even higher. The MoFi only has 2.4GHz wifi. Actually I'm meauring the MoFi modem download/upload speeds, not the wifi speeds. In either case the router is only 10' or less from the W10 computer/cell phone. Looking in the cellphone settings the MoFi wifi reports a 72Mbps speed so that's well above my TMob modem speeds. When testing, the MoFi router is locked to B1 and 40MHz bandwidth. There are no other interfering networks that I can see. Very rural here.

Turns out I get better and more consistent results using Ookla speedtest. I'll let this one go.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!