What's new

FCC rules impact on wifi routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sfx2000, I thought I was being specific? If the concern is a worldwide issue, then yes, it should be implemented worldwide.

If it is not, which seems to be the cases I'm talking about, then it shouldn't be implemented worldwide, nor even have to be discussed as to why that is a bad idea for most of the world.

It's not implemented worldwide - it's implemented on devices that are sold in the US. Manufacturers are always free to not sell their non-compliant devices in the US...

It's not implemented worldwide - it's implemented on devices that are sold in the US. Manufacturers are always free to not sell their non-compliant devices in the US...

See Section 3.3(i) of http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:32014L0053

Likely will happen in the EU - discussion is on the docket...

radio equipment supports certain features in order to ensure that software can only be loaded into the radio equipment where the compliance of the combination of the radio equipment and software has been demonstrated.

Last edited:
Likely will happen in the EU - discussion is on the docket...

I know. I've been saying it for a while now that European regulations would also be changed in the near future. That's another reason why I think that demonizing the FCC is pointless - others are also taking similar steps.

I know. I've been saying it for a while now that European regulations would also be changed in the near future. That's another reason why I think that demonizing the FCC is pointless - others are also taking similar steps.

Tensions are a bit higher than normal this year, esp in the US as we are in that particular election cycle, and this always brings out folks with widely different views - it's all good in the end.

Those days of router range rage when I was excited to pick up my 2.4Ghz signal half a block away or six houses down the street from my N66U are over. :(

and so they should be
I agree. I'm actually ok with it. I don't need much signal range and I have my own disturbing experience regarding 2.4Ghz radio signals. (I edited out the story since it might not be appropriate for the topic of this thread)

Just note that 2.4Ghz is the same frequency range that microwave ovens use to excite water molecules to heat food with the exception that microwave ovens use up to 1200 watts instead of only up to 100 mw for consumer based wireless routers. Besides frequency crowding on 2.4Ghz this is another reason why 5Ghz broadcast is probably the better alternative for common Wifi users with average sized residences.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2.4_GHz_radio_use

Last edited:
Those days of router range rage when I was excited to pick up my 2.4Ghz signal half a block away or six houses down the street from my N66U are over. :(
Says the WiFi client to the router: "I can hear you but you can't hear me well or at all." Million watt router won't help.

There are TWO coverage fried-egg plots: Inbound and outbound. Per router-client pairing.

Says the WiFi client to the router: "I can hear you but you can't hear me well or at all." Million watt router won't help.

There are TWO coverage fried-egg plots: Inbound and outbound. Per router-client pairing.
Yes, I was referring to two way 2.4Ghz communication with the router via an Android based phone. Of course phone to router communication would start to get unreliable at the edge of the range... up to half a block distance away. It seemed like later tests with later firmware yielded different results. Of course the weak link in the two way communication is the much weaker powered 2.4Ghz hand held device.

Last edited:

It's the rock concert situation...

Everyone can hear the band on the stage clearly - but the band just hears nothing but noise from the crowd...

Cant just put up a selection box in the FW where you can select the continent, county, region you live in and customize the router after that?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!