What's new

Feature Request: Add option to advertise custom IPv6 DNS in LAN-DHCP Server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

N/A

Occasional Visitor
Currently the webui only allows you to enter two IPv4 DNS and always advertises router's IPv6 address to clients as DNS even if "Advertise router's IP in addition to user-specified DNS" option is off.
A JFFS script is needed to advertise an custom IPV6 DNS to DHCP clients. It works but it took me a while to find the script.
I have read the sticky readme post but I think this is a useful feature and a relatively simple one to add. If it's not possible then I would add a tutorial to github wiki page.
Thanks again for the fantastic firmware.

Why not just post your findings instead? This may be one of the last things implemented with all the other (more important) issues being addressed now and the last little while.

In other words; if a simple script is available to do what you're asking, then it will probably not be implemented.

Why not just post your findings instead? This may be one of the last things implemented with all the other (more important) issues being addressed now and the last little while.

In other words; if a simple script is available to do what you're asking, then it will probably not be implemented.
I forgot to post the script at first but I did post it in the other post mentioned above. It is a easy two-line script, but as you can see from the other post it still took people a few tries to get it work. This is not as important as other issues but non the less a helpful quality of life improvement.

Implementation for a static dhcp list of stateful ipv6 addressing would be nice as well. We have a static list for ipv4 ip assignment, but nothing for those setting up stateful ipv6. This is something very complex to manually do within a script.

The only downside is that most people run ipv6 in a stateless setup. (i.e. the way it is intended to run now a days). Having a state-ful address assigment is only useful for devices that support it. Some devices will only accept a state-less configuration unfortunately (for example, my smartphone and tablet device will only accept ipv6 state-less addressing). One thing that can be done with dnsmasq, is to run a state-ful configuration along side allowing stateless addressing (the best of both worlds). Devices will take as many ipv6 addresses assigned usually and can be communicated to by either one. Even with a state-ful addressing setup, if implemented on the gui, it would drastically be limited by the amount of memory use.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!