What's new

feedback on video playback on QNAP plz?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Moogle Stiltzkin

Regular Contributor
i got a ts-653A unit which is marketed can do 4k video playback. but is it? i don't have 4k so i couldn't test that.

also what have other users experience been with plex for 1080p high bit rate content? I keep running into issues where transcoding gets triggered despite my efforts tweaking the settings for directplay. But possibly due to my usage of SSA subs, the plex forces it to be burned into the video via transcoding in order to play. But when playing the said 1080p high bit rate video, the cpu is not strong enough and it stutters on transcoding.

Only way i got to play it smoothly was to set transcode to 720p, at which point it became watchable.

but still i don't particularly like transcoding at all....

so has anyone had experience with 1080p high bit rate on kodi, whether playback is smooth? Or if anyone had a different result in plex (also any settings that can avoid transcoding at all?)

Just wondering if i should have just gotten a TVS-x71 unit for playback to be smooth.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...UxU0jdj3tmMPc/htmlview?sle=true#gid=314388488

Many, me included, don't recommend transcoding on a NAS, even if hardware-assisted. Especially 4K.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!