What's new

FIOS Gigabit - AP, Mesh, or ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

robErob

New Around Here
I live in a 4 story town house (including basement) with Verizon fios gigabit service. I am using the Verizon supplied G1100 router, however the wireless is turned off, as I am using the R7000 as an access point.

I would love to remove the verzion router all together but to be honest i don't use any of the additional features that routers offer. And the fact that I have verzion fios TV as well.

The access point (r7000) is located on the main floor. For the most part I can get ok signal and speed on the 4th floor, however I want better.

I was hoping that someone can offer some suggestions on what to get. I an torn between a mesh network, extender, or another router as an access point. Ultimately I am looking for the best device that will give me the best wireless/speed performance.

Thanks in advance SNB homies :)

Hi Rob. SOHO-grade mesh such as an Eero Gen2 would probably work very well in your application. If you intend on using the G1100 as a router, then just put the mesh product into bridge mode. Also, any kind of wired backhaul would help; in order of most to least preferential: ethernet, MoCa, powerline. If none of those are doable, just know that each upstream *wireless* mesh hop will reduce throughput and increase latency. The degree of performance drop can be minimized with smart radio placement.

Last edited:
The G1100 router has built in MOCA 2.0 capabilities.

For $11.95 on Amazon you can purchase a dual band Actiontec AP that will connect with your router over coaxial and extend your WiFi to where you need it. It also has four Ethernet LAN ports.

Before removing the G1100 research how it will ipact your CATV. It used to be that you needed to keep the Actiontec router active on your network for the guide and other features.

Also in the past FIOS was very reluctant to trouble shoot network problems if their router wasn't being used. One work around was to leave the Actiontec as the Internet facing router then either Double NAT your router behind it or use your router as an AP. If you take the Actiontec off line put it on a shelf for use when trouble shooting any network issues with FIOS as they will want you to plug your PC directly into it.

What most people seem to do is to downgrade from fios gigabit, as it's not even needed for VR. It's a self status symbol. Downgrade to 50 or 100 symmetric service. No noticeable difference. Fios router not necessary except leave on coax line somewhere for tv titles & guide . On four story building go mesh or powerline, or keep using moca. Last time I had fios service inquiry they never mentioned their router & instructed me to direct connect laptop to ONT lan port for serious line testing. Oh btw, the fios router is a serious security exposure. Good luck!
ps The sooner you achieve freedom from FIOS(except for basic internet $40) , the happier a person you will be.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!