What's new

firewall on Cisco RV042

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You may have to rethink your rules. It is all a learning process. Maybe they need outside access.

I would agree...

Short course on LAN firewalls...

Deny Incoming
Allow Outgoing​

This basically is similar to NAT - with an SPI firewall, we can then start opening ports

Allow TCP/22​

This opens the SSH port on the firewall for incoming traffic

Allow UDP/1194​

This opens up the port for incoming OpenVPN (per defaults - OpenVPN has numerous options here, some better than others)

From what I remember on my rv's (been a while since I've used them), you can enable intervlan routing with a checkbox, but it was an all or nothing option. And it was a port based vlan from what I remember.

From what I remember on my rv's (been a while since I've used them), you can enable intervlan routing with a checkbox, but it was an all or nothing option. And it was a port based vlan from what I remember.

The Cisco RV routers span many years. I believe in the very old days VLans were port based. The RV320 which has been around 4 or 5 years that I have allows Vlans tagged and untagged between 2 and 4096. The RV320 only has 4 ports so you are limited unless you connect a switch.

I have not used the new RV340 router which may have more features.

I think you have always been able to use ACLs on both the WAN side and LAN side.

Last edited:
Good to know they've moved to tagged vlans. :) The rv-series has always had a lot of bang for the buck.