What's new

Firewall/router (portable) for ISP service provided by WiFi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

maxxjr

Occasional Visitor
I will be moving into housing where internet access is included with rent, but is provided as WiFi access only. (Sort of like many hotels these days).

My general experience is with the WAN side coming in on a wire, connecting into a router from the likes of Netgear/Linksys/etc. These routers do not seem to be useful where the WAN side is provided via WiFi.

What are options for connecting WiFi on the WAN side, providing typical router/firewall function, and providing WiFi service on the LAN side?

Portability and ease of implementation are key considerations. I consider an "ugly" solution to be something like connecting a NUC w/ firewall/NAT to the WAN-Wifi, and connecting the wired link from the NUC to the LAN side of a typical wifi router. This doubles up on firewalls, which may be nice, but it requires more "stuff" and generally seems a violation of the KISS principle.

Thanks!

I guess a question to ask is who is responsible for firewalling your network? If you need ports open for gaming, etc. do the property managers open the ports on the firewall?

I don't know/trust the free wifi link, hence why I want a firewall between it and my network devices.

I don't expect to do gaming or hosting, where I need to worry about opening ports or forwarding incoming connections. I am mainly concerned about connecting a Windows laptop (for work) directly to this wireless link, for web browsing, outgoing SSH connections, email, Skype, etc.

You could use a "media extender", aka client bridge to hookup to the wifi and then hang a traditional router off of it. That way you're not doubling your firewalls, NAT, etc.

I've seen some really portable routers like one that is powered by usb, has ethernet and wifi and is slightly bigger than a thumbdrive. I forgot which brand it was but it might be either asus or tp-link. If you want some portability but more on flexibility to accommodate multiple systems than look at mikrotik routerboards because what you can consider as WAN is very flexible in routerOS and some have made projects with them such as remote monitoring involving IP camera, battery and solar power with point to point wifi links. RouterOS will let you perform QoS on layer 2 if your ISP is doing NAT and if you have multiple systems/users/applications and can perform IP firewall on layer 2.

pineapple (based on pineapple hack) have their own router/firewall meant for portability and compatibility with 3rd party firmware and you can use different antennas if you want.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!