What's new

Firmware upgrade to 9177 on AC87U causes NAS to never sleep

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

homer_at

Occasional Visitor
I have the RT-AC87U Asus router. I was running version 5134,but recently upgraded to 9177. I now notice that my Synology NAS never goes to sleep. My previous router( Dlink) caused this too- that's one reason i bought the Asus. I understand this non-sleeping is caused by some packets the router keeps sending, polling the network asking who's out there on my network. ( note I am a network novice- apparent huh).

Is there a setting I can alter to will allow my NAS to return to it's sleeping mode? Otherwise I guess I can downgrade the firmware. Or will perhaps version 9313 help this situation.

thanks in advance,
Homer_at

You will have to configure your NAS to only wake up when it receives a WOL packet. Otherwise, any broadcast traffic will cause it to wake up.

You will have to configure your NAS to only wake up when it receives a WOL packet. Otherwise, any broadcast traffic will cause it to wake up.
thanks for your reply.

But it was going to sleep just fine under firmware 5134?

just now I went back and did a factory reset - maybe that will help.

homer_at

thanks for your reply.

But it was going to sleep just fine under firmware 5134?

just now I went back and did a factory reset - maybe that will help.

homer_at

Asus did a lot of changes to the networkmap service, to integrate more inforation into the new client list. This causes the router to do more active network scans to build up its list of clients and services.

I moved to version 9313. The NAS has slept a few times, but is mostly awake. I am mainly interested in having it go off for large inactive times like night time.

Are there options I should turn off to lesson the network scans? The traffic analyzer is neat but I don't look at it much, so i could turn that off. I do use the parental controls.

thanks
homer_at

I moved to version 9313. The NAS has slept a few times, but is mostly awake. I am mainly interested in having it go off for large inactive times like night time.

Are there options I should turn off to lesson the network scans? The traffic analyzer is neat but I don't look at it much, so i could turn that off. I do use the parental controls.

thanks
homer_at

Not on the router, no.

Asus did a lot of changes to the networkmap service, to integrate more inforation into the new client list. This causes the router to do more active network scans to build up its list of clients and services.

Do you think that if i changed from DHCP to statically assignment of IP addresses, much of this network polling would stop?

thanks
homer_at

Do you think that if i changed from DHCP to statically assignment of IP addresses, much of this network polling would stop?

Unlikely.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!