What's new

First Time buying a NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mystogan

New Around Here
Hey Guys, I have been considering whether to buy which NAS to buy. The purpose of my NAS is to store photos, backup, videos and documents and stream movies over to my TV. Could you offer some advice? The Three model I Have shortlisted is the Synology DS415+ and Qnap 453 Pro HDMI. Thank you!

Search this forum and you'll see many of us recommend Synology and QNAP. Newbie NAS products of merit include ASUS.
First consider the NAS software and features and try their on-line demo sites. Second choose hardware based on budget.
A key decision is 2 bay or more. For most home users, and SOHO, I suggest a 2 bay. I use two independent volumes rather than RAID.
I use what I recommend.

Be certain you NEED 4 bays.

Synology and QNAP are both very good choices - I'm in the QNAP camp, but appreciate the capabilities of Synology on their NAS boxes...

Asustor is an up and comer... but also consider Netgear's ReadyNAS platforms, as they have history over years like QNAP/Synology...

ARM-based, they're all pretty close these days - x86 basically has two levels, the small cores (Bonnell for older x86, and Silvermont's for newer), and the big cores...

1/2/4 or more bays - depends on your needs and requirements - it's just more storage and flexibility with the disks - 2 bay NAS on Intel x86 J1800 (e.g. TS-251 in QNAP speak) is at a decent price/performance point...