What's new

Fluke Networks LinkSprinter Review

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RocketTech

New Around Here
The recent review of Fluke Network's Link Sprinter posted Friday March 21 by Doug Reid is little more than a written review of a press release. After researching the item myself, I came across Doug's review hoping for more insight. Instead of being influenced to purchase or pass on the item, I've been influenced to write this post and forward it to Fluke, your advertisers, and your potential review sample sources. I will also no longer use this site for any credible decision making.
The article starts with a list of Pros and Cons with none of the items in the 'Con' section appearing in the claimed features. Is Doug in the habit of testing and reviewing non-documented features, or did he simply not list the features?
On the first page, Doug writes "I discovered when you make a change to the LinkSprinter config via the Cloud Service, the change doesn't seem to take effect until after another test is run." This functionality is listed in the LinkSprinter's documentation. Even if Doug did read (or watch) the documentation, by this statement I am lead to believe the reviewer does not understand the concept of the tester under review.
For the test on the PoE switch, details of the cable would have been nice, such as length and type, as well as the power consumption characteristics of the device. Did the switch's own reporting agree with the LinkSprinter?
The test of Discovery information reported an issue with the LinkSprinter reporting the information from the Zyxel switch- is their any comment from Fluke Networks and/or Zyxel on this issue? Was any troubleshooting performed, such as a port-mirrored packet capture with Wireshark? The issue could be something as simple as a null value passed in LLDP or a more involved issue- knowing more would be helpful.
The reviewer comments the LinkRunner 100 is essentially unusable without the Cloud service, which reportedly uses a pay-per-test model. In my own research, I found on the linksprinter.com site the following:
"How much does the cloud service cost?
The service is free for the first 120 days. After that, 10 results per month are captured per tester, free forever. Additional storage management may be purchased in 100 or 1000 data packs. Data packs can be shared across an organization. " You should be able to see that 10 tests per month are included with registration, for life. Additional tests are effectively 10 cents a piece. This knowledge makes the reviewers statement about un-usability highly suspect. The cloud service is an interesting model, and time will tell if it is successful.
I'm quite perplexed why the review did not include any other testers similar in price or functionality. The reviewer claims $150 is a much more reasonable price without offering any evidence as to similar functionality for the price. I agree half the price would be nice, but can functionality be found for that price? Unfortunately the reviewer again fails us by not supplying us with the information.
A 'day in the life' perspective would have been nice to judge the usability and applications of the tester. I currently use my LinkRunner to quickly diagnose wired connection issues, with tests showing where the connection ends (switch/DHCP/router/target address). Are the colored illuminated icons easier to interpret under a desk or in a dark wiring closet than the small display of the defeatable backlit LinkRunner? How long does a test take? Is the remote test functionality useful?
I have a Fluke Networks LinkRunner which I believe the LinkSprinter is looking to replace. The LinkRunner lists for $575 (despite it being available for at least a decade) and has many similar features. Features I miss most on it are LLDP and PoE testing, and the only feature I think I will miss is the basic cable test function. The documented tests are a big plus, along with the ability to add a note or tag to each test. I believe the next step up is the LinkRunner AT (LRAT1000) listing at $895 on Amazon.
For the above reasons I find the review incredibly lacking as to exactly how the device will work for a builder/maintainer of small networks.

LinkSprinter

Thank you RocketTech for taking the time to post your comments!

You are correct; LinkSprinter includes 10 tests per month for free forever. I should have included that fact in my review, so thank you again for pointing it out. The point I intended to convey in my review is it is easy to run a lot of tests.

As I mentioned at the conclusion of my review, I liked the Fluke LinkSprinter 200! I found the LinkSprinter 200 easy to use, quick, it "provides useful results and the Wi-Fi functionality with no app to install is brilliant!"

Another option, which I know doesn't have the same usability or functionality, is to load up DD-WRT or openWRT on a cheap GbE capable router and test that way. Or even use the router's firmware.

A lot of routers like that can be had for $50 or less.

It deffinitely isn't a good tool if you are doing this on a large scale, but if you are doing small network deployments it can work fine so long as you don't mind a bit of extra time (and it isn't really headless except for testing strict auto-negotiate capability over the wire).

Or lots of network testing tools out there that you can load up on a laptop with a gigabit port...which is more expensive, unless you need the laptop for something else anyway.

So you can't tell what VLAN or switch you're on without there being a DHCP server present?

I was going to pitch this to my boss because we are looking at a $600 network tester just because it has LLDP/CDP capabilities. What we have to do now is go to a particular port and plug and unplug a network device to figure out where it is on what switch (madness).

But if we could spend half the price and get the ability to tell what port on what switch we are connected to that'd be outstanding.

Also our network doesn't connect to the public internet, will functionality be non existent if there is no internet connection?

Edit: Played around with wireshark (i'm a total newb) it turns out we don't need no stinking testers. Wireshark tells me exactly what port I'm on, what VLAN I'm on, and what switch and even it's management IP. I just saved this department $600. unfortunately no one cares. I need to find a new place of employment where I can learn from people smarter than me not the other way around.

Last edited:
I need to find a new place of employment where I can learn from people smarter than me not the other way around.

Don't need a new job to keep learning: just ask for the money you're worth. :)

To Trunolimit –

Thanks for your questions. Based on my testing, the Linksprinter will tell you the VLAN ID of the native VLAN on the port you connect the device. Switch information, if detected by LLDP, will be provided. A DHCP server isn’t required for either of these functions.

If you don't have Internet access, the Linksprinter 200 provides details via Wi-Fi.

Good luck!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!