What's new

For my home computer, I'd like to replace my isp provided router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RJE

New Around Here
with 2 separate devices : a dedicated modem and a dedicated router - based on openwrt / dd-wrt / etc .
I was thinking about basic hardware models each from decent manufacturers.

Besides specific hardware suggestions, I'd appreciate any comments you may have.

RJE

Last edited:
with 2 separate devices : a dedicated modem and a dedicated router - based on openwrt / dd-wrt / etc .
I was thinking about basic hardware models each from decent manufacturers.

Besides specific hardware suggestions, I'd appreciate any comments you may have.

RJE
You did not mention your ISP. Do they allow your own modem? For modem, even if you gewt a high performance one, if your ISP won't allow the modem to run at full spec......

You did not mention your ISP. Do they allow your own modem? For modem, even if you gewt a high performance one, if your ISP won't allow the modem to run at full spec......

Hi Tony

My modem and router need to be VDSL2 providing PPPoE connection type
with no restrictions on device make, model and opensource firmware

RJE

Hi Tony

My modem and router need to be VDSL2 providing PPPoE connection type
with no restrictions on device make, model and opensource firmware

RJE

I think you mean the modem needs that connection type?

The router can then be anything you are willing to buy. ;)

To be able to recommend an applicable router, can you give us a more detailed network layout?

How many devices? Which bands are they capable of connecting to? How many floors/walls or other obstructions will there typically be between the router and the clients (and what is the construction of those wall/floors)? What is your ISP paid for speeds? And does the current hardware supply that (at least hard wired to a powerful enough computer)? Are your devices desktops (wired), laptops, or handhelds? Do the desktop computers use WiFi adaptors? Do you have a NAS? Do you require USB attached network storage (via the router)?

Hi there

I'm on a 100MB speed package (about 25$ / month), with one desktop connected via ethernet
that's all there is. No wifi usage, no network storage, no usb storage.

I don't like the current router being configured for and remotely controlled by my ISP.
I would like full control over accessing my router, using open source firmware / Firewall
installed onto my own devices, configured by myself.

RJE

you mean 100Mb?
zyxel have got vdsl modems and some of them can install openwrt (but complicated). draytek have good modems/routers.

If you want it seperate there are many routers to choose from

Hi there

I'm on a 100MB speed package (about 25$ / month), with one desktop connected via ethernet
that's all there is. No wifi usage, no network storage, no usb storage.

I don't like the current router being configured for and remotely controlled by my ISP.
I would like full control over accessing my router, using open source firmware / Firewall
installed onto my own devices, configured by myself.

RJE

If you can put the modem/router you do have in full Bridge mode, then I would recommend the following.

An RT-AC56U with RMerlin or john9527 firmware.

If you cannot put the current ISP supplied equipment into Bridge mode, then ask for a plain modem from them. If they cannot do that either, you need to change ISP's to achieve your goals.