What's new

For those with experience, opinions of your Roku?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lola

Regular Contributor
I'm thinking of getting a Roku for my TV and running a Gb Cat 6 cable to it and the TV. I know literally nothing about the things except CNET thinks highly of them.

If any of you guys have them are have experience of them please expound to your hearts content. I hate making mistakes.

I'm thinking of getting a Roku for my TV and running a Gb Cat 6 cable to it and the TV. I know literally nothing about the things except CNET thinks highly of them.

If any of you guys have them are have experience of them please expound to your hearts content. I hate making mistakes.

I have been using a Roku since 2012 and it has worked fine. Large selection of channels (1000+) I have about 60 on my Roku and probably watch 12.

You don't need a Cat 6 cable. Cat 5 is more than adequate.

With a hardwired connection you will have few or no problems. If you go on a Roku forum most of the problems/ complaints are a result of WiFi and trying to maintain non buffered streaming connection.

Just be sure the Roku you purchase has an Ethernet port. Not all models do.

They're ok - just make sure that the content you're looking for is in their catalog (which is very rich, I might add).

IMHO, they're a much better solution than the embedded apps inside "Smart TV's" and they tend to be more up to date for changes/security fixes...

They're ok - just make sure that the content you're looking for is in their catalog (which is very rich, I might add).

IMHO, they're a much better solution than the embedded apps inside "Smart TV's" and they tend to be more up to date for changes/security fixes...

I have a Roku 3. It is bought to replace my Apple TV 3 a few years ago. I have to say it is a great piece of kit. It is connected to my Ac88u via a gigabit switch and has worked flawlessly since purchased.

I use it to stream Plex, and watch catchup TV here in the UK. BBC. IPlayer, ITV Hub, for example.

I have been using a Roku since 2012 and it has worked fine. Large selection of channels (1000+) I have about 60 on my Roku and probably watch 12.

You don't need a Cat 6 cable. Cat 5 is more than adequate.

With a hardwired connection you will have few or no problems. If you go on a Roku forum most of the problems/ complaints are a result of WiFi and trying to maintain non buffered streaming connection.

Just be sure the Roku you purchase has an Ethernet port. Not all models do.

Thanks to CaptainSTX, JemTheWire, and sfx2000 for the good advice. Cat 5 would be fine, I know that, but I bought 1000 ' of Cat 6 at an auction last year for $10.00.

Almost anything is, quite frankly. Even well known services like Youtube can break, as Google changes their API, like they did a few years ago, leaving a whole bunch of unsupported devices no longer able to access Youtube.

Best to buy a "dumb" TV, and plug a Roku/WDTV/NAS/HTPC to it. Basic devices can be had for as low as 50$ now (a Chromecast combined to any Android device can already be quite powerful, giving you access to Netflix and Youtube).

I've never personally used Roku (I used to have a WDTV, now I'm using my NAS + Kodi as my media player), but the feedback for Roku is generally quite positive.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!