What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

No such thing as a B66U.....it's either an 'N66U' or 'AC66U' or 'AC66U B (the latest rev just released)'

For the first two, load the latest stable release.
For the last, it's not officially supported (see many threads on the AC66U rev B). Some have had luck loading the latest Merlin AC68U code, but AFAIK nobody has tried this with this fork and I suspect the fork code will not work.

Its A N66U running fork V.14.1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, manually the scripts runs fine, but I need a way to run my script after the server2-fw.sh script is finished OR modify server2-fw.sh with my custom iptable rules before it runs.
Do you know a way of doing that?
Everything with respect to the OpenVPN servers/clients is driven out of /jffs/scripts/openvpn-event
The same script is called by every server and client and for each set of events they generate (route-up, route-down, etc). So the easiest way to proceed (at least for me) is to make openvpn-event a 'management' script that looks at who called it and for what, then invokes another script to handle that task. I'll try and pull together an example for you later today.

I've been a happy user of Merlin's firmware on my AC68P for a while, but interested in trying John's fork to use fq_codel since that is broken on the newer Asus releases. I know some of the newer stuff is not in John's fork (DPI engine and other things listed on the 1st page), but are there any differences with global and per device traffic monitoring/tracking?

but are there any differences with global and per device traffic monitoring/tracking?
These should be the same in function, but I'm not sure your existing data will survive the required factory reset after the firmware update. You may need to recreate the data files.

One difference is that I haven't (yet) implemented the graphs for the traffic monitoring. If you decide to try, I'd recommend using the 22B4 code with the new QoS.

Its A N66U running fork V.14.1

With the big jump to the stable 20E9 build, you will likely corrupt your /jffs space and need to reformat it after the update. Do a JFFS backup from the Administration gui before the update so you can restore it afterwards.

With the big jump to the stable 20E9 build, you will likely corrupt your /jffs space and need to reformat it after the update. Do a JFFS backup from the Administration gui before the update so you can restore it afterwards.

Dont know what JFFS is[emoji51], and do i use it

Dont know what JFFS is[emoji51], and do i use it

If you have never turned it on before, you're fairly safe from any problems. But if you have, you need to backup the JFFS folder and reformat it after flashing the new firmware then restore the backed up files.

A couple of things....all leading to an answer of 'don't know, you'll have to try it or hope someone else can verify it'. I know people have used 3TB drives successfully.

Per ASUS, the maximum supported partition size for all router is 4TB for the ARM routers http://event.asus.com/2009/networks/disksupport/

Most of the problems with the larger drives are due to running out of memory on NTFS format drives. This fork uses the Paragon driver vs the Tuxera driver used on the later levels. Anecdotally, it seems to handle the larger drives better.

Some people have reported that formatting the drives with a larger cluster size can help.

Just an update in terms of USB storage :)

I do have one RT-AC68P running as media bridge, and one RT-AC68U as main router.

The AC-68P is running a 4 TB WD MyBook (USB3) since approx. 2 years without problems.
I have tested NTFS in the beginning and switched to ext4 later on.
Just one single 4 TB partition.

Until this morning the AC-68U have had a 2 TB disk connected, also no problems for at least 2 years - nonstop connected.

Today my new 8 TB My Book arrived - NTFS pre-formatted. :)

It works directly on the AC-68U .. the router recognizes the new disk as a single 8 TB NTFS partition.
mount command:
/dev/sda1 on /tmp/mnt/sda1 type ufsd (rw,nodev,relatime,nls=utf8,fmask=0,dmask=0,force)

GPT is not an issue at all !

As I prefer ext4 I did the reformat on antoher Linux machine, parted is missing on the router, fdisk is not feasable to manage over 2 TB.

Now .. the single 8 TB ext4 partition is running smoothly connected to my AC-68U :)

mount command:
/dev/sda1 on /tmp/mnt/sda1 type ext4 (rw,nodev,relatime,barrier=1,data=ordered)

df command:
/dev/sda1 7752456484 24159804 7337595472 0% /tmp/mnt/sda1

Running on John´s fork -> 22B4 :)

No it´s still not a NAS .. but for me it´s working very well - and stable !

Everything with respect to the OpenVPN servers/clients is driven out of /jffs/scripts/openvpn-event
The same script is called by every server and client and for each set of events they generate (route-up, route-down, etc). So the easiest way to proceed (at least for me) is to make openvpn-event a 'management' script that looks at who called it and for what, then invokes another script to handle that task. I'll try and pull together an example for you later today.

Okay John, that would be awesome. Thanks.

3df5cf076341a1a9b3eabf1661f76227.jpg

Looks like JFFS is on, but what does it due ?
Realy want this Update

You must use the Asus firmware restoration tool to Install. [emoji848]

Never done that before...

iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
[emoji847] Update 14E to 20E9

Got 20E9 on desktop,
Back'd up
Update
Restore settings

Right ?

0db04d8f5b162a95695eb4baa7607f0b.jpg

Looks like JFFS is on, but what does it due ?
Realy want this Update
It's enabled by default, but you aren't using it to run scripts/configs. And if you are not saving any traffic data to jffs (probably not since you don't recognize it and you have to set this up), it's not being used and you don't need to worry about it prior to the firmware update.

You must use the Asus firmware restoration tool to Install.
emoji848.png

Never done that before...
No need to use the firmware restoration tool when updating fork versions. Just update via the gui. Then just to be safe, go to the page with the jffs options and select format at next boot, Apply, and reboot.

EDIT: Just to be safe it's always a good idea to have a backup of your nvram setting from the gui. But you should not need to factory reset when updating upwards between fork versions.

Don't usually reply to myself......but here's a template for openvpn-event. This will call openvpn related scripts located in /jffs/scripts based on the client/server and event, for example
vpnclient1-route-up
vpnserver2-route-down

(It supports up to 5 clients for the latest Merlin, this fork only supports 2)

If you install it without any of the 'downstream' scripts, it will make a 'not defined' syslog entry for each possible script.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

scr_name="$(basename $0)[$$]"

case "$1" in
    "tun11")
        vpn_name="client1"
        ;;
    "tun12")
        vpn_name="client2"
        ;;
    "tun13")
        vpn_name="client3"
        ;;
    "tun14")
        vpn_name="client4"
        ;;
    "tun15")
        vpn_name="client5"
        ;;
    "tun21")
        vpn_name="server1"
        ;;
    "tun22")
        vpn_name="server2"
        ;;
    *)
        vpn_name=""
        ;;
esac

# Call appropriate script based on script_type
vpn_script_name="vpn$vpn_name-$script_type"

# Check script state/use nvram to save last script run
vpn_script_state=$(nvram get vpn_script_state)
nvram set vpn_script_state="$vpn_script_name"
if [ "$vpn_script_name" = "$vpn_script_state" ]; then
    echo "VPN script" $vpn_script_name "already run" | logger -t "$scr_name"
    exit 0
fi

if [[ -f "/jffs/scripts/$vpn_script_name" ]] ; then
    sh /jffs/scripts/$vpn_script_name $*
else
    echo "Script not defined for event: "$vpn_script_name | logger -t $scr_name
    exit 0
fi

exit 0

EDIT: corrected typo in code

Last edited:
Don't usually reply to myself......but here's a template for openvpn-event. This will call openvpn related scripts located in /jffs/scripts based on the client/server and event, for example
vpnclient1-route-up
vpnserver2-route-down

(It supports up to 5 clients for the latest Merlin, this fork only supports 2)

If you install it without any of the 'downstream' scripts, it will make a 'not defined' syslog entry for each possible script.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

scr_name="$(basename $0)[$$]"

case "$P1" in
    "tun11")
        vpn_name="client1"
        ;;
    "tun12")
        vpn_name="client2"
        ;;
    "tun13")
        vpn_name="client3"
        ;;
    "tun14")
        vpn_name="client4"
        ;;
    "tun15")
        vpn_name="client5"
        ;;
    "tun21")
        vpn_name="server1"
        ;;
    "tun22")
        vpn_name="server2"
        ;;
    *)
        vpn_name=""
        ;;
esac

# Call appropriate script based on script_type
vpn_script_name="vpn$vpn_name-$script_type"

# Check script state/use nvram to save last script run
vpn_script_state=$(nvram get vpn_script_state)
nvram set vpn_script_state="$vpn_script_name"
if [ "$vpn_script_name" = "$vpn_script_state" ]; then
    echo "VPN script" $vpn_script_name "already run" | logger -t "$scr_name"
    exit 0
fi

if [[ -f "/jffs/scripts/$vpn_script_name" ]] ; then
    sh /jffs/scripts/$vpn_script_name $*
else
    echo "Script not defined for event: "$vpn_script_name | logger -t $scr_name
    exit 0
fi

exit 0

Will look in to it! Thanks John for the example!

My Asus 5300 router no longer works in 2.4 ghz, the channels presented are above 36 and at this frequency the channels are from 1 to 13, in addition the light of the router that indicates the 2.4 does not light, I already did all the possible procedures, ja I put all possible firmware, I wonder if anyone had this problem

My Asus 5300 router no longer works in 2.4 ghz, the channels presented are above 36 and at this frequency the channels are from 1 to 13, in addition the light of the router that indicates the 2.4 does not light, I already did all the possible procedures, ja I put all possible firmware, I wonder if anyone had this problem
Sorry, wrong thread.....this is for legacy devices on a LTS fork (AC5300 isn't supported). Please post in the thread for your release.

Quick question. Is the fork not supported/tested on AC68U H/W version C1, or it doesn't work at all ? The mainline asus-merlin still works on C1, right ? Newegg has a deal on AC68R for $60 after rebate, and I'm wondering if that'll be h/w version C1.

Quick question. Is the fork not supported/tested on AC68U H/W version C1, or it doesn't work at all ? The mainline asus-merlin still works on C1, right ? Newegg has a deal on AC68R for $60 after rebate, and I'm wondering if that'll be h/w version C1.
Fork doesn't work at all....it needs a new SDK. Latest Merlin from some level of 378 380 I believe picked up the C1 support.
I saw the Newegg deal as well......I suspect it's prior to a C1 and is old inventory being cleared (BestBuy doesn't carry the AC68R anymore).

EDIT: Corrected Merlin level that supports AC68 rev C1

Last edited:
Fork doesn't work at all....it needs a new SDK. Latest Merlin from some level of 378 I believe picked up the C1 support.
I saw the Newegg deal as well......I suspect it's prior to a C1 and is old inventory being cleared (BestBuy doesn't carry the AC68R anymore).

Thanks john. Yeah, I suspect it's old inventory as well, but the website says 1GHz. So there is a small chance that it'll be C1. I've ordered the t-mobile variant too. That's definitely older, but that has more work in order to flash this. They should both arrive in a couple of days. I'll keep the one which lets me flash this, and return the other. I'll update once I get them.

Thanks john. Yeah, I suspect it's old inventory as well, but the website says 1GHz.
It's a real mess with the model id's now. ASUS shipped some pre-C1 boxes with the 1GHz processor as well. As Forrest Gump would say.... 'It's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are gonna get' :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!