What's new

[Fork] Missing IPv6 options (v33E7)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dkwo

New Around Here
Hi guys,

Sorry for asking question as I searching for solution without joy for two hours.

I live in Japan and my ISP started to support so-caled "v6 Plus" in Japan or "NGN IPoE" connection that allows IPv4 traffic in iPv6 for faster speed -- sorry for not being fully technically correct here :).) Many AC68U owners are taking advantage of this connection by changing Connection type to either "FLET'S IPv6 service" or "Passthrough" in IPv6 section.

The problem is, as I was looking at IPv6 section, I couldn't find these options in Connection type drop-down list. Could anyone advise how I can make them appear? I have a feeling that my web UI is outdated, if this is the case, how do I update my web UI?

Options in typical web UI:
ipv6_settings.png
My web UI:
capture_20180818_010544_001.png

Relative posts: Setting up IPv6 on a RT-AC68U This guy has these options in his UI.

It looks like that option was added after the code base that John's fork uses which is why it isn't there.

You'd have to ask @john9527 whether it's something that he can back port to his firmware or use Merlin's firmware instead.

@dkwo

^ What @ColinTaylor said

I don't know anything about those options so I'd need to spend some time checking what they do and if it's possible to backport them (my fork uses a different IPv6 stack and I also don't know if that will affect things). If it looks like it may be possible, are you willing to try some test builds?

@dkwo

^ What @ColinTaylor said

I don't know anything about those options so I'd need to spend some time checking what they do and if it's possible to backport them (my fork uses a different IPv6 stack and I also don't know if that will affect things). If it looks like it may be possible, are you willing to try some test builds?

These were added in the past 2 or 3 years top. I recommend you check the git log on the IPV6 web page to track down which GPL added the options, will make it easier for you to track down the necessary changes.

Thanks everyone for your replies! (-;

@john9527 , sure -- I'm more than happy to help by running builds and give you feedback. Hope back porting is not going to be a huge headache for you. This will be very helpful for people living in Japan or anyone who would like to take advantage of IPv6 passthrough.

Thanks again!

@dkwo (and anyone else that would like to test)

I've made a first pass at backporting the IPv6 Passthrough and Flet's options to the fork. It wasn't just a drop in...
38 files changed, 5122 insertions(+), 21 deletions(-)

So, it is likely to have some bugs :) I can't test any further and need someone that has the support to try it and capture the syslog and IPv6 log page for me.

Download from the Test-35X1 folder at
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ainhp1nBLzMJmkNTnFp4Sh2wvQva

Thanks in advance!

Message in Japanese (in hope for more testers): Fork を使う方でv6プラスの接続を試したい方は、ぜひ上記 John のビルドを試してみてください!(-;

Message in Japanese (in hope for more testers): Fork を使う方でv6プラスの接続を試したい方は、ぜひ上記 John のビルドを試してみてください!(-;
Only in english Please.

@john9527 , I tested with the new build.

Good news is that I could get IPv6 working which never worked for me before, bad news is that the IPv6 connectivity seems unstable (but I could reproduce the behavior.)
  • My IPv6 setting on AC68U, using Passthrough option
    • screencapture-Advanced_IPv6_Content-asp-2018-08-29-01_47_07.png
    • I couldn't get FLET'S IPv6 service to work, I will do more test and let you know if I got it working
    • I noticed that even if "Enable name resolution for fixed addresses" is enabled it's not saved -- the option stays "No"
  • Using http://ipv6-test.com/ and its speed test I could get IPv6 to work but it's not consistent
    • Screenshot when not working
      screencapture-ipv6-test-2018-08-29-00_10_52.png
    • Screenshot when working
      screencapture-ipv6-test-2018-08-29-00_53_57.png
  • When IPv6 is not working, typically I don't get an IPv6 IP in the speed test
  • I could get IPv6 to work if I disable the network adapter and enable again, but if I test IPv6 connectivity once then it typically won't work the second time, unless I disable and enable the adapter again
Happy to do more test / provide input if needed! (-;

Thanks!

@octopus , roger -- will do. (-;

@dkwo

Thanks for trying things out! At least it's partially working :)

One of your comments that'seasy to answer
I couldn't get FLET'S IPv6 service to work
Flet's IPV6 is passthrough for PPPoE connections. So you would use either Passthrough OR Flet's depending on your ISP.

Can you capture your syslog and upload it to a sharing site and send me the link?

Hi @john9527 , I just shared syslogs with you via PM. I have two files:
  • 2018-08-31 flets syslog.txt
    Syslog using FLETS mode. You mentioned that this is for Passthrough for PPPoE connections which is probably what I'm looking for, as the "v6 Plus" (the Japanese IPv6 connection mentioned in my first post) clam to be IPv6 IPoE. Either way, I include log for your inspection just in case.
  • 2018-08-31 passthrough syslog.txt
    Syslog using Passthrough option. Interestingly, today I no longer able to pass "DNS6 + IP4" and "DNS6 + IP6" on http://ipv6-test.com/ . I realize this is because I removed Google's DNS (8.8.8.8) to make configuration clean, but I'm not sure if the result (not passing the two tests) is expected.
    • screencapture-ipv6-test-2018-08-31-23_42_25.png
Thanks!

@dkwo

^ What @ColinTaylor said

BTW, I was told that passthrough also requires kernel patching.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

BTW, I was told that passthrough also requires kernel patching.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info. I'll double check, but I think my 'E' build kernels should be up-to-date with required changes. I think I probably flubbed the udhcpc/radvd changes and the firmware is trying to renew a lease when it shouldn't (as you know there is no radvd in the current builds, so I had to do some 'best guess' development as to what was required)

EDIT: @dkwo Have a lot of things going in parallel on the fork right now, so please give me a little time to get back to this one.