What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Not sure I fully understand what you are seeing....on my modem, under Known CPE MAC addresses, it says 'Max 1' and contains the MAC of the attached router which is normal (and why it's sometimes necessary to shutdown your modem for a while to reset things at the ISP when changing routers).

Mine says max 3 and normally lists 1 which is the WAN MAC address of the router. Today, it lists 2, the WAN MAC and the LAN MAC of the router. Not sure why the LAN MAC is out there to the modem (across the WAN interface).

Mine says max 3 and normally lists 1 which is the WAN MAC address of the router. Today, it lists 2, the WAN MAC and the LAN MAC of the router. Not sure why the LAN MAC is out there to the modem (across the WAN interface).

Interesting....I wouldn't expect that either. I can't think of anything I touched in that area of the code.

Are you spoofing the router MAC (not that I have any specific thought that this would effect things)?
Any chance you had a new modem firmware pushed?

My RT-N66U sometimes lost connection which resulted in limited connection on all clients. It usually connect back after about 1-2 mins. Can anyone tell me what went wrong? Below is the system log. TiA!

Sep 5 11:48:05 rc_service: wanduck 302:notify_rc restart_wan_if 0
Sep 5 11:48:05 dnsmasq[320]: read /etc/hosts - 5 addresses
Sep 5 11:48:05 dnsmasq[320]: using nameserver 208.67.222.222#53
Sep 5 11:48:05 dnsmasq[320]: using nameserver 8.8.4.4#53
Sep 5 11:48:05 stop_wan(): perform DHCP release
Sep 5 11:48:05 miniupnpd[554]: ioctl(s, SIOCGIFADDR, ...): Cannot assign requested address
Sep 5 11:48:05 miniupnpd[554]: Failed to get IP for interface eth0
Sep 5 11:48:05 miniupnpd[554]: SendNATPMPPublicAddressChangeNotification: cannot get public IP address, stopping
Sep 5 11:48:05 dnsmasq[320]: read /etc/hosts - 5 addresses
Sep 5 11:48:05 dnsmasq[320]: using nameserver 208.67.222.222#53
Sep 5 11:48:05 dnsmasq[320]: using nameserver 8.8.4.4#53
Sep 5 11:48:05 kernel: Attempt to kill tasklet from interrupt
Sep 5 11:48:05 kernel: br0: port 1(vlan1) entering disabled state
Sep 5 11:48:05 kernel: vlan1: dev_set_promiscuity(master, 1)
Sep 5 11:48:05 kernel: br0: port 1(vlan1) entering listening state
Sep 5 11:48:05 kernel: br0: port 1(vlan1) entering learning state
Sep 5 11:48:05 kernel: br0: topology change detected, propagating
Sep 5 11:48:05 kernel: br0: port 1(vlan1) entering forwarding state
Sep 5 11:48:07 dnsmasq[320]: read /etc/hosts - 5 addresses
Sep 5 11:48:07 dnsmasq[320]: using nameserver 208.67.222.222#53
Sep 5 11:48:07 dnsmasq[320]: using nameserver 8.8.4.4#53
Sep 5 11:48:08 dnsmasq[320]: read /etc/hosts - 5 addresses
Sep 5 11:48:08 dnsmasq[320]: using nameserver 208.67.222.222#53
Sep 5 11:48:08 dnsmasq[320]: using nameserver 8.8.4.4#53
Sep 5 11:48:08 rc_service: udhcpc 3436:notify_rc start_firewall
Sep 5 11:48:08 start_nat_rules: apply the nat_rules (/tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0)!
Sep 5 11:48:08 start_nat_rules: (/tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0) success!
Sep 5 11:48:09 rc_service: udhcpc 3436:notify_rc stop_upnp
Sep 5 11:48:09 rc_service: waiting "start_firewall" via udhcpc ...
Sep 5 11:48:10 rc_service: udhcpc 3436:notify_rc start_upnp
Sep 5 11:48:10 rc_service: waiting "stop_upnp" via udhcpc ...
Sep 5 11:48:10 miniupnpd[554]: shutting down MiniUPnPd
Sep 5 11:48:11 dhcp client: bound 192.168.100.10 via 192.168.100.1 during 30 seconds.
Sep 5 11:48:11 miniupnpd[3470]: HTTP listening on port 34070
Sep 5 11:48:11 miniupnpd[3470]: Listening for NAT-PMP/PCP traffic on port 5351
Sep 5 11:48:26 miniupnpd[3470]: ioctl(s, SIOCGIFADDR, ...): Cannot assign requested address
Sep 5 11:48:26 miniupnpd[3470]: Failed to get IP for interface eth0
Sep 5 11:48:26 miniupnpd[3470]: SendNATPMPPublicAddressChangeNotification: cannot get public IP address, stopping
Sep 5 11:48:26 dnsmasq[320]: read /etc/hosts - 5 addresses
Sep 5 11:48:26 dnsmasq[320]: using nameserver 208.67.222.222#53
Sep 5 11:48:26 dnsmasq[320]: using nameserver 8.8.4.4#53
Sep 5 11:48:28 WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.
Sep 5 11:48:28 stop_nat_rules: apply the redirect_rules!
Sep 5 11:48:28 stop_nat_rules: (/tmp/redirect_rules) success!
Sep 5 11:48:29 dnsmasq[320]: read /etc/hosts - 5 addresses
Sep 5 11:48:29 dnsmasq[320]: using nameserver 208.67.222.222#53
Sep 5 11:48:29 dnsmasq[320]: using nameserver 8.8.4.4#53
Sep 5 11:48:29 rc_service: udhcpc 3475:notify_rc start_firewall
Sep 5 11:48:29 start_nat_rules: apply the nat_rules (/tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0)!
Sep 5 11:48:29 start_nat_rules: (/tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0) success!
Sep 5 11:48:29 rc_service: udhcpc 3475:notify_rc stop_upnp
Sep 5 11:48:29 rc_service: waiting "start_firewall" via udhcpc ...
Sep 5 11:48:30 rc_service: udhcpc 3475:notify_rc start_upnp
Sep 5 11:48:30 rc_service: waiting "stop_upnp" via udhcpc ...
Sep 5 11:48:30 miniupnpd[3470]: shutting down MiniUPnPd
Sep 5 11:48:31 dhcp client: bound 66.62.117.218 via 66.62.116.1 during 86400 seconds.
Sep 5 11:48:31 miniupnpd[3509]: HTTP listening on port 55372
Sep 5 11:48:31 miniupnpd[3509]: Listening for NAT-PMP/PCP traffic on port 5351
Sep 5 11:48:33 WAN Connection: WAN was restored.

My RT-N66U sometimes lost connection which resulted in limited connection on all clients. It usually connect back after about 1-2 mins. Can anyone tell me what went wrong? Below is the system log. TiA!
Can you post a bit further back in the system log? This shows a pretty normal recovery from a loss of WAN access and we need to find the event where it went down

You also would want to check your modem logs for any events as well.

Interesting....I wouldn't expect that either. I can't think of anything I touched in that area of the code.

Are you spoofing the router MAC (not that I have any specific thought that this would effect things)?
Any chance you had a new modem firmware pushed?

No spoofing and the firmware of the modem is the same as it's been for about a year (TWC won't push the latest for some reason).

By the way, it's working fine that I can see. Just didn't know why the LAN MAC was on the WAN modem side.

By the way, it's working fine that I can see. Just didn't know why the LAN MAC was on the WAN modem side.
I'm at a loss as well....if you get the chance you may want to try and reset the modem configuration thru the gui and reboot the modem to see if it comes back.

I'm at a loss as well....if you get the chance you may want to try and reset the modem configuration thru the gui and reboot the modem to see if it comes back.

I rebooted and only the one MAC came back but only after I hit apply on the WAN setup page of the router. Couldn't pull an IP (waited a few minutes and didn't feel like rebooting router - discovered if I just go to the WAN setup page and hit apply, it goes to "Processing" and then pulls an IP from the modem after a few seconds - strange).

@Engineer - I just doubled checked and everything came right back up for me (I'm on Cox Communications). But if you try it again, you may want to wait a bit longer that what you would think....like 5 min or so to see if it sorts itself out.

@Engineer - Here's a dumb, but perhaps relevant question - is the RG6 link to your TW modem coming off a splitter, and if so, are any of the ports on that splitter open? I ran into the same sort of problem here on Charter, and it went away when I put an Amphenol 222154 terminator on the open splitter port. Yeah, it sounds weird, but that solved my problem (and raised the signal / SNR levels to my Cisco DPC3208)...

@Engineer - Here's a dumb, but perhaps relevant question - is the RG6 link to your TW modem coming off a splitter, and if so, are any of the ports on that splitter open? I ran into the same sort of problem here on Charter, and it went away when I put an Amphenol 222154 terminator on the open splitter port. Yeah, it sounds weird, but that solved my problem (and raised the signal / SNR levels to my Cisco DPC3208)...

The splitter is a booster / splitter with cable modem connection (boosts modem in both directions). The booster was installed by TWC. All connections in the house are terminated (simple 75 ohm terminator cap - same as the Amphenol - except cheap eBay model - measured with my VOM to make sure @ 75 ohm) including unused ports on the booster / splitter.

Upload channels:
Power Level 45 dBmV 43 dBmV 46 dBmV 48 dBmV

Download channels:
-1 dBmV -2 dBmV -1 dBmV -1 dBmV -1 dBmV -4 dBmV -3 dBmV -2 dBmV

Power levels look great to me and the terminators should minimize issues / signal reflections / noise / etc.

By the way, I just tried (for first time ever) a firmware newer than the fork (HGGOMES version of 378.55) and the double MAC address is now back in the modem, lol.

I'm not going to worry about it unless someone thinks it's a security issue or the like.

Thanks all (I may switch back to John's fork now, lol :p )_

The splitter is a booster / splitter with cable modem connection (boosts modem in both directions). The booster was installed by TWC. All connections in the house are terminated (simple 75 ohm terminator cap - same as the Amphenol - except cheap eBay model - measured with my VOM to make sure @ 75 ohm) including unused ports on the booster / splitter.

Upload channels:
Power Level 45 dBmV 43 dBmV 46 dBmV 48 dBmV

Download channels:
-1 dBmV -2 dBmV -1 dBmV -1 dBmV -1 dBmV -4 dBmV -3 dBmV -2 dBmV

Power levels look great to me and the terminators should minimize issues / signal reflections / noise / etc.

By the way, I just tried (for first time ever) a firmware newer than the fork (HGGOMES version of 378.55) and the double MAC address is now back in the modem, lol.

I'm not going to worry about it unless someone thinks it's a security issue or the like.

Thanks all (I may switch back to John's fork now, lol :p )_
Well, it was just a thought 'cause I've seen networks broken by more nitnoid stuff - it never hurts to explore the options. I agree that your levels look okay; here are the readings off my connection:

Downstream Channels
Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio:
Channel 1 : 7.4 dBmV 39.0 dB
Channel 2 : 7.4 dBmV 39.0 dB
Channel 3 : 7.9 dBmV 38.9 dB
Channel 4 : 8.2 dBmV 39.3 dB
Channel 5 : 8.6 dBmV 39.2 dB
Channel 6 : 8.5 dBmV 39.2 dB
Channel 7 : 8.8 dBmV 39.0 dB
Channel 8 : 7.0 dBmV 38.2 dB

Upstream Channels
Power Level:
Channel 1 : 46.3 dBmV
Channel 2 : 0.0 dBmV
Channel 3 : 0.0 dBmV
Channel 4 : 0.0 dBmV

The Charter connection down here is more asymmetric, so they haven't started binding upstream yet.

I've been on John's V13E1 since he made it public, and haven't seen the first problem - looking forward to V14. BTW, the Amphenols were $0.81 each, I just had to find a source for them.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Just switched back to John's from latest HGGomes Merlin fork. Should have (Oh how I should have) saved the settings from John's fork before switching over. Xbox 360 extenders started locking up on TWC app (for On Demand). That = wife mad = ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you post a bit further back in the system log? This shows a pretty normal recovery from a loss of WAN access and we need to find the event where it went down

You also would want to check your modem logs for any events as well.

Will do the next time it would go down again. Thanks!

Using that mod is a use at your own risk and isn't officially supported as it disables a lot of the regulation checking in the code. For channel 14, it's only 'legal' in Japan for 11b connections. It may still be reacting to the latter part of that restriction.

Asus has not implemented a lot of the wl commands, especially with respect to power and especially on the MIPS based routers. I'm not sure if this command is reflecting a hardware limit or maybe a safety shutdown threshold, but it does not reflect anything with respect to the current power settings. AFAIK, there is no way to query the current actual power output via wl commands on any of the ASUS routers.

Thanks!

Have been using this fork for a while now and it's great, but I've noticed something strange on my network and I really cannot figure it out, wonder if someone here knows the answer. Fyi, guest network disabled, running 2.4/5ghz with WPA2 and some local ethernet devices.

In my network section in Windows 10, there is a device I don't know called "Beetle", it shows as a phone, in properties it has a mac address which is not listed anywhere on my router as ever being connected, it also says it's an "ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 4030X" and a manufacturer of "TCT Mobile Limited". This isn't my device, nor do I know anyone with one of those. It shows up along side my own android phone in the network section, of course my phone has my known mac address and it shows as being connected on the router config page.

I can find no log of this device ever being connected to my network other than the Windows 10 network page. How is it possible that it appears there, but not in my Asus configuration pages? As I've been typing this, the Beetle has disappeared. I am the only person in my house, none of my devices were turned on/off or disconnected but the "Beetle" is gone. I didn't get a screenshot but I managed to capture the mac address so for now I'll just blacklist it.

I concerned about the security of my network, and I'm not sure what to do from here. My computer is clean of malware, every scan says I'm clean, I've not noticed anything weird and all my running processes are normal.

EDIT:
Now I have another one, appearing called "RalinkLinuxClient" model "RT2860". It has it's own mac also, I don't recognise it and it's not in my router config.

And another one, "tostab12BA, TOSHIBA, AT10LE-A". It's like windows can list any device that can see my SSID or something. These devices are not connected to my network as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
In my network section in Windows 10, there is a device I don't know
I'm not sure about Win10, but Win7 had a mode where it could act as an access point (and I think it was enabled by default). Is this a laptop or desktop w/wireless?

On Win7 the command to disable it (via administrator command window) was

Code:
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=disallow

Maybe try that and see if it quiets things down.

It's a desktop that I built, running Windows 10 Pro, no wireless adapter is installed, also no bluetooth or any other wireless of any kind, just one Ethernet from my Intel nic.

Online on my network right now is this desktop, another desktop running Windows 7 again with only Ethernet, a HP switch between my wired devices and my Asus router, and my phone on 5GHz.

So far, I've blacklisted those 3 macs, but RalinkLinuxClient is still there. Funnily enough, my Windows 7 machine doesn't see any of this stuff, it doesn't even show my phone, but it does show my network shares and DLNA stuff, so it's working.

Is it possible that Windows 10 can somehow communicate with the router and pick up wireless clients that it's not even connected to and show them as devices? That's my only explanation for this weirdness.

Is it possible that Windows 10 can somehow communicate with the router and pick up wireless clients that it's not even connected to and show them as devices? That's my only explanation for this weirdness.
If they were coming in through the router, they would have to show up on the System Log/Wireless Log page. As soon as they associate with the radio, they would show up even if they couldn't authenticate and get in.

Since the only other wireless device is your phone, do they go away if you shut off the phone?

If they were coming in through the router, they would have to show up on the System Log/Wireless Log page. As soon as they associate with the radio, they would show up even if they couldn't authenticate and get in.

Since the only other wireless device is your phone, do they go away if you shut off the phone?
No they don't.

I've done some more googling and found what I believe is the culprit. The "Windows Connect Now - Config Registrar" service. It's been present since Windows 8, and it's Microsoft's implementation of WPS configuration for your access point from within Windows. Since disabling the service, no more random devices have popped up.

Some of the links I found with people who have the same issue as me, but on Windows 8:
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1778660
http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/12630-someones-phone-connected-my-network-why-how.html
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...n/2c61616e-bcbc-4a7a-9a66-eab68fae84cd?page=3

I'm not sure what exactly causes the devices to show, maybe they are trying to connect to my network or maybe they are just in my area and Windows is able to discover them through the router with this WPS service.

None of these devices actually showed up in my routers logs at all, so I'm pretty confident my network is in fact secure. Thanks for the help guys, hopefully at the very least if anyone else faces this issue this post helps.

Only took a year for someone to find this ASUS bug :) If you are willing to try a test build, drop me a PM.

I sent you a PM a while back and never got a response. Do you still need help testing a fix for this?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!